Fifth forum?

What do you like and dislike about this site? How could we improve it?

Moderators: Saturn, Malia, Thilo

Fifth forum?

Postby Despondence » Wed Apr 09, 2003 9:19 pm

I note that a growing number of posts are of the type "requests", concerning help with study assignments, essays, research papers, etc. Without any slight at all intended, I thought to suggest that perhaps a fifth forum could be created named precisely so - Requests - wherein posts of this character would feel better at home than in a general forum.

This may not seem like a big deal at the moment (and it certainly isn't), but if the number of posters keep growing, I think some people who are not interested in doing other people's homework might eventually take an annoyance at the many requests for assistance. It is a commonly used practice among many (significantly larger) usenet groups to provide a special forum for posts of this type.

It's just a suggestion; what think ye folks?
Despondence

Postby Endymion » Thu Apr 10, 2003 11:23 pm

D, you took the words right out of my mouth! I came here to suggest the very same thing!!

What do you say Mr T?
Endymion

Fifth forum now!!!!!

Postby Claire » Sat Apr 12, 2003 4:27 am

That is a great idea. I am studying Keats at A-level at the moment (A bit late I might add!) so I think it would be an excellent idea!!
And it will be very entertaining too!!!!! :shock:
La Belle Dame Sans Merci.
Claire

New Forum "Help and Homework"

Postby Thilo » Sat Apr 12, 2003 7:07 am

Hi Despondence, Endymion and Claire,

Thank you for the great suggestion. I have now opened a fifth forum "Help and Homework". I just hope that there will be enough experts willing to check the forum from time to time and answer some of the questions.

Yours,

Thilo
Thilo
Site Administrator

Postby Despondence » Sat Apr 12, 2003 12:14 pm

Thanks Thilo, you're very swift :)

I admit that your concern about "experts willing to check the forum" is valid - it would be unfortunate if it was to be spurned by those with the most knowledge. But I don't think this will be a problem here.

While I by no means am one of the experts, I am usually willing to go to the sources to find things out, if an interesting question is posed. But you know, some days you're just less in a giving mood than others, and some days you might check the forum just hoping to glean some new and fascinating tidbits without any inclination at all to grapple with other people's assignments, interesting though they be. I'm sure everybody feels this way sometimes, having jobs and duties that some days leave little time for indulging in research and poetic pastimes. The possibility of being a bit more selective with the posts on those days I think is probably good for everybody.

But we'll see, give it a try - you can always reiterate if it doesn't work or if you come up with a better idea.
Despondence

Return to Feedback