Keats first poem was....

BEFORE you post a request for help concerning study assignments or research papers here , PLEASE check with the SEARCH ENGINE above to see if there's already a thread on the subject.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Keats first poem was....

Postby slippery blisses » Mon Oct 23, 2006 12:34 am

Does anyone know what Keats first poem was because i am doing a research paper in enlgish and we have to have a compare contrast section and i think it would be kind of cool to compare his first poem that he has ever written to When I have Fears that I may cease to be
"A thing of beauty is a joy for ever:
Its loveliness increases; it will never
Pass into nothingness;"
slippery blisses

Postby Malia » Mon Oct 23, 2006 3:05 am

I don't think anyone knows what Keats's very first poem was--because he burned quite a few before he started saving them. The earliest known poem that has been saved is Keats's "Imitation of Spencer" written while he was an apothocary's assistant in Edmonton. Keats would have been about 18 when he wrote the poem. It was composed between 1813 and 1814. You can find this poem on line or in any of Keats's collected works :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:16 am

A good sonnet to compare/contrast with When I Have Fears is Bright Star!

Keats touches on the love and fame in the former, but really fleshes out the love theme in the latter...because he had, by then, met and fallen for Fanny Brawne...it counters somewhat one of the fears he mentions in When I Have Fears...he also talks about death on two different levels in each sonnet...

Just my suggestion, SB--it's your grade, not mine. :P
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby AhDistinctly » Mon Oct 23, 2006 4:33 pm

Malia wrote:I don't think anyone knows what Keats's very first poem was--because he burned quite a few before he started saving them. The earliest known poem that has been saved is Keats's "Imitation of Spencer" written while he was an apothocary's assistant in Edmonton. Keats would have been about 18 when he wrote the poem. It was composed between 1813 and 1814. You can find this poem on line or in any of Keats's collected works :)

How fascinating it would be to have a peek at what the fire consumed!
...perched and sat and nothing more...
AhDistinctly

Suggestion

Postby Apollonius » Mon Oct 30, 2006 6:28 pm

I'm not sure what level of work you are attempting, but from the content point of view it would be good to link "When I have fears" with "To Autumn". Compare the two sets of harvest imagery for a start......

Just an idea!
The tygers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.
Apollonius

Postby Black Fire » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:03 am

"To Solitude" was Keat's first published poem. Appearing in a weekly newspaper, The Examiner on May 5, 1816.
Black Fire

Return to Help and Homework