Help Please :D To Sleep Question

BEFORE you post a request for help concerning study assignments or research papers here , PLEASE check with the SEARCH ENGINE above to see if there's already a thread on the subject.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Help Please :D To Sleep Question

Postby Guest » Mon Oct 06, 2003 12:45 am

I'm analyzing this poem for school. Actually I'm comparing it to Philip Sydenys Come, Sleep! from Astrophel and Stella. But I'm taking the slow route of evaluating one at a time.

So I have a few questions

1. Is Keats refering to death in this poem? The use of embalmer & casket and other gloomy words makes me think so.
Or maybe is he personifying sleep through death to add more drama to the poem? Maybe he's doing it to heighten the idea of the Need for sleep.
2. I'm not sure what the meaning is behind these lines (specifically starting with Around):
"Or wait the "Amen" ere thy poppy throws
Around my bed its lulling charities."

If anyone can help me with those or even offer other insights into the poem I would really appreciate it.

Oh and also I'm confused by the rhyming scheme.

Is it really a b a b c d c e f c g h g h ?? What kind of a Sonnet is that?

*~Lindsay~*

Postby Despondence » Mon Oct 06, 2003 10:41 am

I don't have much help to offer on the analysis; it seems very introspective. It could easily be a prayer for the eternal sleep, ("save me" occurring twice, from "woes" and from "curious conscience"), or it could just be a study in melancholy, praising the carefree bliss that sleep offers the troubled soul. Or smth like that. The final phrase "And seal the hushèd casket of my soul" is interesting - does this refer to dying, or sleeping? It has a quintessential ring to it, though I'm not able to figure it out just now.

As for the rhyming scheme, I read it as: AB AB CD CD BC EF EF, and I don't know what "kind" that is. While a powerful and emotional poem, technically I think it's not very successful as a sonnet.
Despondence

analysis of to autumn

Postby sherihan » Thu Oct 16, 2003 4:40 pm

Anonymous wrote:I'm analyzing this poem for school. Actually I'm comparing it to Philip Sydenys Come, Sleep! from Astrophel and Stella. But I'm taking the slow route of evaluating one at a time.

So I have a few questions

1. Is Keats refering to death in this poem? The use of embalmer & casket and other gloomy words makes me think so.
Or maybe is he personifying sleep through death to add more drama to the poem? Maybe he's doing it to heighten the idea of the Need for sleep.
2. I'm not sure what the meaning is behind these lines (specifically starting with Around):
"Or wait the "Amen" ere thy poppy throws
Around my bed its lulling charities."

If anyone can help me with those or even offer other insights into the poem I would really appreciate it.

Oh and also I'm confused by the rhyming scheme.

Is it really a b a b c d c e f c g h g h ?? What kind of a Sonnet is that?

*~Lindsay~*
sherihan

Return to Help and Homework