Question.

BEFORE you post a request for help concerning study assignments or research papers here , PLEASE check with the SEARCH ENGINE above to see if there's already a thread on the subject.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Question.

Postby Keats_help » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:14 pm

Keats wrote, 'O for a life of Sensation rather than of thoughts!'
Examine the ways in which the language of Keats's poetry reflects his desire for a world of feeling rather than thinking.
Explore in your answer at least two poems (or sections from longer poems) from the selection.

Which poems do you think i should use? Any extra advice would be greatly appreciated.
Keats_help

Postby dks » Wed Nov 29, 2006 6:59 pm

Was this a test question? I think this should be in "Help and Homework," but I'll answer anyway.

This is one of my favorite quotes by him. Check the odes...particularly "Ode to a Nightingale" and "To Autumn." In Nightingale he explores this idea pretty explicitly--he longs to be like the bird and 'feel' in lieu of the aching awareness that is the "fever and the fret" of life--"where men sit and hear each other groan."

In "To Autumn" the senses are showcased magnificently--on an ethereal, image-laden plane...the first stanza illustrates taste images--ripe fruit with 'sweet' kernals, the second--sight images--"who hath not seen thee oft amid thy store?" The third stanza are 'mournful' auditory images--that incredible choir of gnats, the bleating lamb...all from the petrie dish of the senses...brilliant, he is... :shock:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Apollonius » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:06 pm

That was the AS question on the June 06 exam paper from Edexcel. I set it myself as a task for my Y12 group.

The main thing with the AOs at this level is to give your own opinion.

On started question: for Keats the imagination is the prime source. Is that about senses or thought? Until you come to your own conclusions on that one, you have no sort of answer.
The tygers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.
Apollonius

Postby Apollonius » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:12 pm

Just answering the original question.

Lamia is all about this.

Melancholy would be a good choice.
The tygers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.
Apollonius

Return to Help and Homework