I need your help for my term paper!

BEFORE you post a request for help concerning study assignments or research papers here , PLEASE check with the SEARCH ENGINE above to see if there's already a thread on the subject.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

I need your help for my term paper!

Postby topmichelle » Thu Nov 30, 2006 9:38 am

Hi, everyone! I want to apply the principles of psychobiography to interpret Keats's "Ode to a Grecian Urn". So, I wonder you could offer me some information about Keats's psychobiography and show me any phallic or yonic symbols that apear in this poem.Thank you so much!! :oops:
topmichelle

Postby Saturn » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:18 am

I have never heard of psychobiography :shock:

And what is yonic?

:?
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Becky » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:40 am

aren't vases yonic? Or am I getting confused? Explain!
Becky

Postby topmichelle » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:14 pm

psychobiograph is a kind of literary criticism. urn, i think, is a yonic symbol.
topmichelle

Postby Saturn » Thu Nov 30, 2006 3:17 pm

But what does yonic mean?
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:37 pm

Hmmm. . .I couldn't find a definition for "yonic" in my on-line dictionary but I'm guessing that it must have something to do with the symbolic representation of female anatomy--just as phallic deals with symbolic representations of male anatomy. Just a guess, though!
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby darthoutis » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:58 pm

Um, well, a vase <i>can</i> be yonic but not necessarily.

I would agree that in "Ode to a Grecian Urn," the urn can represent the female genitalia. The opening line of the poem, "Thou still unravished bride of quietness," certainly suggests this interpretation, since "ravishing" is a synonym for rape. So if the urn correlates to the female genitalia, then the potential violator would be time. Of course, since the urn is a work of art, it is immune to the destruction of time unlike the mortal existence of the poet.

For precedents glossing "ravishing" as rape, I would look to the end of Donne's sonnet "Batter my heart, O three person God." The entire poem presents a disturbing image of God raping the soul of the speaker.

As far as applying psychoanalytics to this poem, I'm sure Keats' mental state influenced the writing of this poem as with all of his other works.

Cheers!
What though the field be lost?
All is not lost; the unconquerable Will,
And study of revenge, immortal hate,
And courage never to submit or yield:
And what is else not to be overcome?
darthoutis

Return to Help and Homework