Comparison between To autumn and Bright Star......

BEFORE you post a request for help concerning study assignments or research papers here , PLEASE check with the SEARCH ENGINE above to see if there's already a thread on the subject.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Comparison between To autumn and Bright Star......

Postby sir_montana » Wed Dec 06, 2006 2:35 am

Hi, for my English hons I have been given the assignment to critically compare the two Keat's poems To Autumn and Bright Star !!! and i'm kinda stuck on where to start :? ! any help would be much appreciated!!! I have to pick out 4 main points to discuss and whether they share the same theme and whether or not they address them in different ways!

many thanks.

Tony.
sir_montana

Suggestions.

Postby Apollonius » Thu Dec 07, 2006 6:13 pm

I'm not going to do your thinking for you, but how about this for starters?

1. Longing. You could argue he does show this in Bright Star and not in Autumn.

2. Sensuality.

3. Relationship with nature.

4. relationship with human life. Personified and remote in Autumn. How about Bright Star?

5. Death. Mentioned in Bright Star. Implicit in Autumn.

Over to you.
The tygers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.
Apollonius

Postby sir_montana » Thu Dec 07, 2006 11:05 pm

Many thanks, that has really helped. It's added to the ideas i've already racked my brains for ha! so much appreciated.
One of my main comparisons i have noted in my essay is Keats' diverse states of mind in the two poems.
In 'Bright Star' he exhibits a defiance towards the unsteadfastness of the world, perhaps relevant to his development of his illness and his inevitable death, although he does end the poem with a glimpse of acceptance.
However, in 'To Autumn' Keats seems to portray a total acceptance to the change of the world and the futility to regret or to delay the changing of time.

Well i'm a major novice to poetry and that's how i interpreted it (after reading it 500 times to half understand what he's saying). Please tell me whether i'm miles off haha!

Thanks again for the reply. Any more help is more than welcome :D !

Tony.
sir_montana

Postby Apollonius » Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:32 pm

Not wanting to sound patronising, but well done. Your thinking is sound, in my view.

Flattered to have been of help.

Acceptance is the key idea in Autumn and many readers find the poem the culmination of Keats's work.

Unpack ideas around the year being a metaphor for a human life and that Autumn is the time of maturity and harvest. You might find a look at a sonnet called "When I have fears that I maight cease to be" useful too.

Regards.
The tygers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.
Apollonius

Return to Help and Homework