how does keats further his ideas through ??????

BEFORE you post a request for help concerning study assignments or research papers here , PLEASE check with the SEARCH ENGINE above to see if there's already a thread on the subject.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

how does keats further his ideas through ??????

Postby karpiels_rule » Thu Nov 20, 2003 11:13 pm

rite im writing an essay and my critical position is how does keats further his ideas by his patterns of diction and poetic techniques. i need a nice quote from anyone backing up this idea as i cant seem to find one even if you could think of one yourself that would be good
cheers Steve
karpiels_rule

Postby Guest » Fri Nov 21, 2003 10:04 am

come on someone must have a quote or even a little hint
cheers Steve

Postby karpiels_rule » Fri Nov 21, 2003 11:00 pm

Heres my essay its not the greatest but any criticsim would be appreciated and yes i know what i am arguing is not true of keats it just fits the quesstion and is quite a clever answer i though any way

For Keats how he writes about a subject or an idea is often more important than the idea itself. Consider a response to this in at least two poems?

John Keats born in London on 31st October 1795. As well as a poet Keats was a physicist. A famous linguist once said of all the phrases and all the combinations of words in the English language that “Cellar Door” is the most beautiful combination of words possible. Would Keats’ agree with this statement? In most of his poems he seems to be more interested in the sounds the words make and the mood they convey rather than what they mean. In “Ode to a Nightingale” this is also evident in “Ode To A Grecian Urn” Because Keats’ describes something yet still uses the effects and sounds the words have to great effect it is a more complex poem. In “Ode To A Grecian Urn” it is very apparent that Keats is more interested in the sounds of the words and the mood they create.

In “Ode To A Grecian Urn” Keats uses the word “happy” In one line three time. “More happy love! More happy, happy love!” Here the line has a soft rhythmical feel because of the caesura it breaks the rhythm, however there is now a dramatic pause that creates the mood which is soft and romantic. The repetition of “Happy” is also key to the rhythm as it gives the line rhythmical alliteration as well as the other words are also repeated, there is a lot of assonance with the vowel sounds of these words in “Ode To A Nightingale”. This creates a soft fanciful sound to the line and helps to just slow the poem down. “Forlorn! The very word is like a bell” Here Keats describes the onomatopoeia of the word “forlorn” rather than carrying on with the ideas of the poem. It is also ironic that Keats describes the sound of “forlorn” as a bell as bell almost sounds like the sound a bell makes. As the poems progress the rhyme scheme is very structured.

In “Ode To A Nightingale” The rhyme scheme Changes the mood of the poem dramatically. In the first stanza the rhyming in the first four lines is negative and in the last four lines the rhymes are negative. Keats uses this reversal of mood to further complicate his ideas in the poem. “Pains” “Drunk” “Drains” “Sunk” All of these rhymes are fairly negative and very harsh to the ears. Conversely “Lot” “Happiness” “Trees” “Plot” “Numberless” and “ease” although all don’t have positive meanings they all have soft sounds this reinforces the idea of sounds and rhythm being more important than the meaning. The first four rhymes make a heavy depressed atmosphere but by the end the last for positive rhymes really help to lift the poems mood from a melancholic state to a fluent ecstasy. Keats then uses stanza which are all negative or all positive and then begins to mix the ideas at the end. This poem is almost structured like an essay where it weighs up the pros and cons of something then discusses each in turn then finally analysing everything. In the first stanza of “Ode To A Grecian Urn however the rhymes all have soft assonance, contradictorily the second stanza has harsh assonance in all its rhymes. Yet in both stanzas there are times when this pattern does not apply and is opposed but it is strange how this opposition happens on the same lines of each stanza and marks something ironic about the poem. “What struggle to escape?” this is from stanza one and does not fit with the soft assonance of the rest of the rhymes but it does hint that the women are not that desperate to get away from their pursuers. In stanza two, and on the same line as in the first stanza (second from last)
“She cannot fade, though thou hast not thy bliss,” Here the sound of bliss marks the irony that eternal youth is not all that desirable. This openly mocking line seems even more sincere because the line stands out in that stanza as most other rhymes in that stanza are harsh to the ear. The rhyme of “Bliss” is really amplified because of “Hast” which makes the rhythm of the line really discordant as it is the only strong word in the line.

When Keats wants to change the mood of a poem to positive he likes to use the word “Happy” and not only in the afore mentioned poems “Ode To A Nightingale” “But being too happy, in thine happiness,-“ Here Keats uses Happy twice in one line he even uses the word in the line above. In “Ode To A Grecian Urn” there is the reference of happy love
“More happy love! More happy, happy love!” Not only does he use the word “Happy” in these to poems to change the mood and relieve tension but also in “The Eve Of ST Agnes” It is a happy chance that Porphyro is there
“Ah happy chance!” This line is the beginning of a romantic ascent to the poem and really signals the start of the idealism in the poem similar to the affect it has in the other poems I have mentioned.

It is clear that Keats sees the sounds of words as much a tool as what they mean in his poems, I think that Keats purposefully uses oxymoron’s and homophones to create mystery around his poetry so that the reader reads more into his poetry techniques and the sounds and rhythms the words have. Keats is obviously an everyman’s poet, as rather than having complex ideas he is simply trying to make things sound nice for the less educated, but for the more sophisticated he allows the poem to be read into by what the words mean but does not really clarify his ideas with the meaning of words but with sounds. It seems that Keats has found his “Cellar Door” with “Happy Love.”
karpiels_rule

Postby Master Slave » Tue Nov 25, 2003 2:40 am

HAHA no replies :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :P :oops: :oops: :? 8) :( :( :? :shock: :x :evil: :!: :?: :twisted: :idea:
Master Slave

Postby karpiels_rule » Tue Nov 25, 2003 9:35 pm

grow up child
karpiels_rule

Return to Help and Homework