Teaching Keats

BEFORE you post a request for help concerning study assignments or research papers here , PLEASE check with the SEARCH ENGINE above to see if there's already a thread on the subject.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Teaching Keats

Postby dks » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:14 pm

Ok, I started teaching Keats today to my high school seniors--and their evil textbook's bio on him stated that Keats never left his country (England) until he sailed to Italy for a warmer climate. NOT TRUE. We all know he visited Ireland, albeit briefly. He definitely went to Scotland, although that is not wholly considered a different country...but across the water there? I mean, maybe that part of Ireland he visited was technically the UK--but it was still a 'different country' as the island of Ireland...I'm splitting hairs...whatever...but I just didn't like the way the bio snuffed out so much other important details about him...I'm being a baby...sorry...nevermind this post...cheers.

Hmph. :?
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Malia » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:16 pm

I hear ya, dks. It feels like nails on the chalkboard whenever I read that Keats died at the age of *26*. (Hello, people, do the math! :roll: )
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:20 pm

I know!! Dilettantes... :!: :lol:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:47 pm

He did indeed visit Ireland [which despite the Act of Union in 1800 was still a separate country] and my own home town of Belfsat!!!

I actually know the street he and Brown walked down, High Street in Belfast [though it is completely unrecognisable today to what it was in Keats' time] - see the engraving (I think) in Motion's Keats.

I have walked that street a million times wondering how many layers under my feet is the path where Keats walked? :shock:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:53 pm

Denise are you going to do a Mr Keating from Dead Poet's Society and tell the kids to rip that textbook up? :wink:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Thu Feb 22, 2007 6:21 pm

Saturn wrote:Denise are you going to do a Mr Keating from Dead Poet's Society and tell the kids to rip that textbook up? :wink:

:lol: No--only because I have three boys to feed--but I announce loudly and cheerfully (and almost daily) to all my classes that their "evil textbook sucks." 8)

That may not be Hollywood Romantic enough, but it's a small triumph for me.
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Thu Feb 22, 2007 11:04 pm

Good for you - go Denise :lol:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Return to Help and Homework