DESPERATE FOR HELP - HUGHES & HARDY

BEFORE you post a request for help concerning study assignments or research papers here , PLEASE check with the SEARCH ENGINE above to see if there's already a thread on the subject.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

DESPERATE FOR HELP - HUGHES & HARDY

Postby Bright Star » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:22 am

Hi. Errm I know that this is a forum for Keats...I 'discovered' Keats last year and I remember coming across this forum then... however, I am a little stuck this year doing Hughes and Hardy. I'm wondering if any kind soul can help...

I have been working on a question considering Thomas Hardy's and Ted Hughes' handling of our relationship to the natural world...

My questions are as follows...

1) what do YOU think this question asks me to consider...

2) what do you think is Hardy's handling of our relationship to the natural world...?

3) What do you think is Hughes' handling of our relationship to the natural world...? So how would you contrast the two?

4) How would you consider 'An August Midnight' and 'Darkling Thrush' (Hardy) in the light of Question 2?

5) How would you consider Wind, Pike, Skylarks (Hughes) in the light of Question 3?

Now this next question is very important ...

6) What criticisms can you make of Hardy and Hughes (in the light of the main question?
Bright Star

Postby Saturn » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:51 am

You'll be hard pressed to find someone who has read much of Hardy's poems and Hughes'.

I've read a bit if both but not extensively, so my answers can only be very generalised

A lot of questions you have there I can only answer briefly the first few:

Thomas Hardy's and Ted Hughes' handling of our relationship to the natural world...

1) what do YOU think this question asks me to consider...

A. How does each poet describe human interaction with / or how do they experience the natural world?

2) what do you think is Hardy's handling of our relationship to the natural world...?

Hardy, like his beloved favourite poet Shelley sees the natural world as a friend to man, a beneficent partner in the cycle of life, a sacred and eternal force for good which is sometimes corrupted by human interference.

3) What do you think is Hughes' handling of our relationship to the natural world...? So how would you contrast the two?

Hughes see nature more as an untamed animal "red in tooth and claw" - an explosive and sometimes threatening force that co-exists with man in a bitter struggle, one that man cannot understand, ever fully control. Think of the crow character in many of Hughes' poems - it is a visceral and animalistic nature that is explored in this character. Nature to Hughes is a deadly force continually at war with death.

Sorry I can't be more specific or cite examples but I would need to do a bit more reading of both these poets, especially Hardy to answer your questions fully.

Don't quote me on this, these are just my opinions but I hope I've given you some ideas to look into.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Bright Star » Thu Mar 22, 2007 1:22 am

I am very grateful to you. I really appreciate your input.

You have been very helpful - I have been 'discussing' the subject matter of the question with myself (sounds mad, I know) as I have been going along, writing and getting through the work - and I was at the stage where I needed someone just to express their opinions and what they thought of the question ... you know when you get to a stage where you really need someone else to say something... oh, i hope this makes sense...I'm rambling now and I do feel slightly demented trying to get through all the work in a very short space of time...

Thanks so much again. It's made me feel 'fresh' again to continue with the work.
Bright Star

Postby Saturn » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:15 am

Just read the poems again and again and think about them carefully.

Most importantly always have the question in your head - make sure your answer addresses the question. That's what I was always told at school.

I might read some stuff Hughes and Hardy stuff today and get back to you tonight if I can think of anything that might be of help
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Bright Star » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:12 pm

Just wanted to say thanks again.

I've completed the work. I've worked flat out and worked and re-worked it again. I am so pleased I've got it done.

:D :) :D :lol:

But at the point where I was quavering and came on here and you replied - thanks for that reply. It really made me carry on... it made me feel better - if that makes any sense lol.

So thanks.
Bright Star

Postby Saturn » Sun Mar 25, 2007 10:19 pm

No problem I'm glad you got it done alright.

Happy to be of any assistance - good luck :D

Hope you stop by in future and not just for homework help :wink:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Return to Help and Homework