Concept of soul-making in Keats' poetry

BEFORE you post a request for help concerning study assignments or research papers here , PLEASE check with the SEARCH ENGINE above to see if there's already a thread on the subject.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Concept of soul-making in Keats' poetry

Postby jen » Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:04 am

Hey
I've decided to do a paper on how Keats' life affected his poetry, and I've decided to focus in on his concept of soul-making. If anyone could give me any suggestions on what poems you think I should use in regard to this it would be greatly appreciated.
jen

does anyone reply

Postby jen » Tue Mar 16, 2004 12:06 am

Hey,
I notice that tones of people read the posts, but no one really seems to answer any of them! Cat got your tongue?
jen

Postby Despondence » Fri Mar 19, 2004 5:18 am

Jen - that's not quite true; a lot of interesting answers and discussions have resulted from requests here. I dare say that many might find their answers, or at least helpful discussions, by browsing through the accumulated posts.

That, of course, might take a bit of dedication, which, quite often, seems to be the problem. If you (not you in particular, but the people I'm addressing) don't have the inclination to do even the most basic research yourself, why then should anyone be inclined to help you.

It's very hard to give concise anwers to the mostly vague and nebulous questions posted here by indifferent and disillusioned students panicking before their exam. I also think many questions are plain difficult, and probably have even the semi-experts and quasi-intellectuals going back to their books, fumbling for answers for themselves.

Sorry I'm not even trying to answer your question (I don't have a frickin' idea...), but maybe you shouldn't be too surprised that no one replied yet. Maybe someone will eventually.
Despondence

thanks

Postby jen » Sat Mar 20, 2004 2:22 am

Thanks Despondence,
The paper is pretty much done anyway. I was just genuinely curious what others might have thought about Keats' idea that you can't ignore the tragedies in life because they are essential to understanding one's surrounding world and are instrumental in forming a complex soul. I wanted to know if there were poems that may have struck others as trying to get this idea across.
jen

Postby Despondence » Sat Mar 20, 2004 4:15 am

Oh well, if you put it that way...

At the risk of souding clichéd, the first poems that came to my mind were The Human Seasons, To Hope, and When I have Fears.

So out of curiosity, which poems did you focus your paper upon? Perhaps you wouldn't mind sharing some of your conclusions with us..
Despondence

Postby Ardias » Wed Mar 24, 2004 9:33 am

Jen -

I would include "Ode on Melancholy" and even "Ode to a Nightingale" -

In terms of his poetry I think "soul-making" is tied very closely to negative capability

This is actually a topic I have looked at in my research.
Ardias

Return to Help and Homework