Significat writers of the period

BEFORE you post a request for help concerning study assignments or research papers here , PLEASE check with the SEARCH ENGINE above to see if there's already a thread on the subject.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Significat writers of the period

Postby churchy » Tue Aug 17, 2004 2:48 pm

I was wondering if anyone could tell me who the significant writers of the period (early 1800s) were? Thanks.
Whet the knife with your stone hard heart
churchy

Significant writers

Postby Saturn » Fri Aug 20, 2004 9:45 am

It depends what field of writing you mean and what specific time you mean.

If you are talking about poetry, for the really early 1800s before Byron, Shelley and Keats began their careers we really area talking about Coleridge, Wordsworth, Thomas Moore and the most poular poet of the time Walter Scott (before he later turned to novel writing, he sold as much as Byron would later do). William Blake was still active at this time, though much older than Wordsworth and Coleridge and somewhat lost in poverty and neglect.

In terms of journalism we are looking at James Leigh Hunt and his radical writers of the Examiner periodical like William Hazzlit.

In political theory and philosophy, one of the most respected authors was William Godwin (husband of Mary Wollstonecraft - the mother of Frankenstein author Mary Shelley). He also wrote novels like Caleb Williams which were critically acclaimed.

Mention must also go to the French emigre writer Madame de Stael whose exotic novels caught the public's imagination greatly at this time.

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Saturn on Sun Sep 05, 2004 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Matt » Fri Aug 20, 2004 1:27 pm

How do u know so much Stephen? I am genuinely intrigued as to how a man of your young age can know so much. Let us know
Matt

Postby churchy » Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:39 pm

thanks a lot, that's hepled.
Whet the knife with your stone hard heart
churchy

My so-called "Knowledge" was dearly bought

Postby Saturn » Fri Aug 20, 2004 8:36 pm

Matt, there's no intriguing mystery as to why I appear to know a lot - it's really just a case of having far far too much time on my hands for the past five years.

I like to think of it as a deluded attempt to self-educate myself to become a poet - ludicrous notion (I wouldn't recommend it!). As Ovid says 'poeta nascitur, non fit' - (the poet is born, not made)

It's amazing the amount of stuff you can read if you have nothing else to do, nowhere to go, no-one to talk to.
If I told you how many books I have read and re-read you really wouldn't believe me.
The reasons why I have read so much are far too depressing and painful to speak of here, so I'll just say that when you are in the depths of absolute and total blackness and despair, you have to grab on to something in order just to survive.

Sorry for lowering the tone a bit.
Normal service will hopefully be resumed shortly.

Thanks for the interest.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Return to Help and Homework