This may be too late, but...

BEFORE you post a request for help concerning study assignments or research papers here , PLEASE check with the SEARCH ENGINE above to see if there's already a thread on the subject.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

This may be too late, but...

Postby incuboo » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:48 pm

I'm getting quite desperate. My paper's due in less than 3 hours (I know, I know...I should've planned ahead), and I can't seem to completely grasp Keats' "To Homer." I've tried to research this poem and I've come up with nothing.

What does it mean? How is this related to his other poems? How are the qualities of this poem related to romantic writing, in general?

Please help! Any will be much appreciated!

Thanks for reading :)
incuboo

Postby Saturn » Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:45 pm

If you are really desperate I'll see what I can do.
I only have time to try and explain what it means, it would take forever to answer those other questions fully.

Firstly it was written after Keats had read George Chapman's classic 16th century translation of Homer's Odyssey.

The first line refers to the fact that Keats felt himself to be ignorant as he could not read Greek and was therefore barred from the pleasure of reading Homer in the original. It also makes a play on the traditional notion that Homer himself was blind, thus "ignorant".

Despite his blindness though, Keats imagined that the ancient Greek gods revelaled to him in a kind of divine prophecy the ability to describe the world and all it's inhabitants.

So, even in blindness he was given a sort of hidden sixth sense which enabled him to fully create a work of poetry which described in detail the three realms of earth - sea, land and sky - a "triple sight in blindness keen".

In the last line he compares this capacity to the three incarnations of the hunter goddess Diana/Artemis who in the sky was called Luna and Hecate in the underworld.

Hope this is of some use to you.

Best of luck!!!!!!!!!
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby incuboo » Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:06 pm

Stephen Saturn wrote:If you are really desperate I'll see what I can do.
I only have time to try and explain what it means, it would take forever to answer those other questions fully.

Firstly it was written after Keats had read George Chapman's classic 16th century translation of Homer's Odyssey.

The first line refers to the fact that Keats felt himself to be ignorant as he could not read Greek and was therefore barred from the pleasure of reading Homer in the original. It also makes a play on the traditional notion that Homer himself was blind, thus "ignorant".

Despite his blindness though, Keats imagined that the ancient Greek gods revelaled to him in a kind of divine prophecy the ability to describe the world and all it's inhabitants.

So, even in blindness he was given a sort of hidden sixth sense which enabled him to fully create a work of poetry which described in detail the three realms of earth - sea, land and sky - a "triple sight in blindness keen".

In the last line he compares this capacity to the three incarnations of the hunter goddess Diana/Artemis who in the sky was called Luna and Hecate in the underworld.

Hope this is of some use to you.

Best of luck!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately, I've already finished my paper, BUT, luckily I seemed to have picked up on almost everything you mentioned! I forgot to expand on the triple deity thing though...oh well.

Thank you VERY much for the help, though. It makes much more sense to me now, and I feel much more comfortable with the poem! :)

Have a wonderful holiday and new year!
incuboo

Return to Help and Homework