what are the most used themes of Keats?

BEFORE you post a request for help concerning study assignments or research papers here , PLEASE check with the SEARCH ENGINE above to see if there's already a thread on the subject.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

what are the most used themes of Keats?

Postby tessa255 » Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:48 pm

Can someone tell me or give me a link where i can find something about the most used themes of Keats?
tessa255

Postby Despondence » Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:03 pm

I guess this needs to be pointed out again, although it has been several times before: don't ask too general questions, or people won't bother to answer. It's simply too much work to answer your question in full - try to be more specific. You can't expect people to sit down and write an essay for you to compensate for the nebulous character of your question.

And the same goes for Diomedes' post too ("interesting facts" - how about the man's whole life and poetry!). If you had bothered to look through what has already been discussed you would find tons of "interesting facts".

That being said, the most used themes of Keats? Perhaps, in some order of significance (not chronological), the "love of beauty in all things", his concept of negative capability, his concept of soul-making. And if you don't know what these mean, use the search engine of this forum. He was particularly fond of stories from Greek mythology (Endymion, Hyperion, The Fall of Hyperion, and in his version also Lamia). In terms of influences rather than themes, you can count in Spenser, Wordsworth and Hunt (early influences); Milton, Shakespeare and Dante (late influences). To mention but a few. But in order to get any real clarity, you will need to read a biography. Why not try the excerpt of Colvin's, which you find on this site. They should help.
Despondence

Postby Saturn » Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:27 pm

Despondence wrote:I guess this needs to be pointed out again, although it has been several times before: don't ask too general questions, or people won't bother to answer. It's simply too much work to answer your question in full - try to be more specific. You can't expect people to sit down and write an essay for you to compensate for the nebulous character of your question.

And the same goes for Diomedes' post too ("interesting facts" - how about the man's whole life and poetry!). If you had bothered to look through what has already been discussed you would find tons of "interesting facts".

My thoughts exactly. Some of us have lives, or are trying to get them!!

Have these people never heard of biographies, critical studies etc?
The libraries and second-hand bookshops of the world are full of them.

I don't blame people for writing such wide-ranging and arbitary questions. It seems people are given these questions by teachers or lecturers and they begin to panic; look up Keats on the net, come here and expect there to be some great professor on hand to answer their questions in full.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby tessa255 » Mon Jan 17, 2005 4:52 pm

Thanks despondence.. no i didn't mean to ask my question like that but i guess my english isn't that good..
ofcourse i understand nobody will write me an essay, i wouldnt for someone else anyway..
but already went trough the fora and indeed found things like mythology but i also asked for a website or just short answers like youres.. and indeed i just figured if people wouldn't answer my question because they found that i hadn't searched enough they wouldn't answer.
i did search but the things i found (i did found something ofcourse) weren't enough so i hoped to get some more info..
en fortunatly i did.. :) so thank you!
Greetings
tessa255

Return to Help and Homework