sinning against burns' native skies

BEFORE you post a request for help concerning study assignments or research papers here , PLEASE check with the SEARCH ENGINE above to see if there's already a thread on the subject.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

sinning against burns' native skies

Postby 776668 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 7:48 pm

in 'on visiting the tomb of burns' - does anyone know why Keats thinks he is sinning against Burns?

thank you

Postby Despondence » Sat Feb 12, 2005 4:21 pm

Apparently not, since you're not getting any replies. I don't know what that line means, but maybe its character has more to do with his general mood at the time, which was turning somewhat sour by all the scotch "misery" Keats was exposed to, than with Burns himself. While he definitely felt sympathy with Burns, having been forced to cultivate his poetic genius among such uncultivated barbarism, some lines in that poem seems to be indicating that Keats was sliding into one of his fits of despondency and self criticism. I don't know.
Despondence

Postby Saturn » Sat Feb 12, 2005 10:37 pm

He felt that the poem he wrote in the cottage was unworthy of either Burns, or Keats himself - he thought he would be inspired by visiting his home and his tomb, but he felt very dissatisfied with the resulting poems.

Simple as that (I think) :shock:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Return to Help and Homework