Need help please!!

BEFORE you post a request for help concerning study assignments or research papers here , PLEASE check with the SEARCH ENGINE above to see if there's already a thread on the subject.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Need help please!!

Postby keli » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:26 pm

hi, i'm doing my a-levels on the internet and need some help with 3 questions, so if anyone has anytime i could really use some help:
1, discuss how far you agree with the belief that keats olds a traditional 19th century perception of women.
2, critically discuss keats' use of classical mythology, mediaeval legend and biblical references to illustrate the adversity of the human condition.
3, examine how keats celebrates the world of nature in his odes.

I know it's alot but if anyone could just give me a little bit of help it would be appreciated as i am struggling to understand and start my essays.

thanks again :?
keli

Postby Despondence » Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:21 am

Hi Keli, welcome to the chamber of maiden thought :) I'm sorry I'm not able to write a detailed reply, but I'll give you a few pointers that might lead you to deeper reading.

1. Check out the threads "Keats as a Chauvinist!" and "Keats attitude to women" (use the search engine on this forum!) for some ideas. But also try to pick up a copy of Motion's "Keats" at your library to peruse, or if you can find it, Aileen Ward's biography might have more to say on this particular subject. You might find that, superficially, Keats seems to harbor a closely Victorian perception of women, but much of that may be only a confused facade, covering a much more complex and oftentimes inwardly tormented personality.

2. You have many instances of classical mythology and medieval cherry picking in his works (e.g. Endymion and Selene, the Hymn to Pan; poem to Apollo; the overthrow of the Titans by the Olympian gods in Hyperion and the Fall of Hyperion; Isabella stems from Boccacio; St. Agnes is a medieval story, etc; and few funny mixtures like Lamia and Cap and Bells, where Keats borrows classical and medieval elemens and cooks up his own version). I don't remember a lot of direct biblical references, it's more in the way he portrays characters. While he drew a lot from e.g. Milton's "Paradise Lost", Keats never turned his own worship in that direction. Keats own religion was a devotion to nature and beauty, and he seemed rather to dislike the strict doctrines of the anglican church.

3. Read the Odes! Read the Grecian Urn and Nightingale odes to begin with, then To Autumn and The Human Seasons for more meat. Then browse this forum (search engine!) for a lot of discussion on these. Nature is ubiquitous in Keats poetry, one of the few "truths" that carries its independent beauty. Also I can recommend: Soumya posted a couple of very nice essays on this forum a while ago, discussing some related topics very eloquently, read them if you have the time.

Good luck, and hopefully you will have more replies to your post, pointing out all the stuff I neglected :D
Despondence

Postby keli » Wed Aug 31, 2005 12:51 pm

thanks for replying, i really appreciate it
keli

Return to Help and Homework