Hik,,i'm a bit stuck,,help me!!!

BEFORE you post a request for help concerning study assignments or research papers here , PLEASE check with the SEARCH ENGINE above to see if there's already a thread on the subject.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Hik,,i'm a bit stuck,,help me!!!

Postby Lara » Sun Sep 04, 2005 9:46 am

How does Keas suprise us with the excess in he Eve of st.agnes??? :?: :?:
Lara

Re: Hik,,i'm a bit stuck,,help me!!!

Postby Steph J » Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:46 pm

Lara wrote:How does Keas suprise us with the excess in he Eve of st.agnes??? :?: :?:

The meaning of this question is difficult to understand at first, but once you get a bit of help, you should be fine. Basically, you are answering the question: 'How does Keats use excess (bold imagery, using all the senses) to impact on the reader'

I did a 3 page essay for this and got 19 out of 20 points! :D so listen..

Your opening line should start something like this (just launch into the essay- no need to waffle around at the beginning, people lose interest and you won't have time to do that kind of thing in the exam anyway):

'The Eve of St Agnes opens with the cold- we are immediately plunged into senses; a theme which continues through the rest of the poem. '

Give examples of this.. you can find loads of words to do with the cold at the start of the poem. Just point out the semantic field and the fact that the bitter cold is an emphasis of the sense of feeling... or whatever. You get my drift, I'm sure you can word that better.

Move as smoothly as you can through the poem- linking ideas together that run throughout the poem without confusing the reader by jumping all over the place. Talk about 'excessive luxury and the extravagance of the feast '.. and stuff. Read the poem carefully and pick out as much as you can that has anything to do with excessiveness and senses.

Another good line i picked out of my essay is: 'In stanza XXX there is a hint of luxuriousness and sensuality in the description of Madeline’s bed linens- this and the excessiveness and eroticism of the feast prepare us for their sexual fulfillment.'

I hope all that helps in some way.
Maybe I'll find on the way down the line, that I'm free- free to be me (8 years on, I think I've achieved this ;))

http://www.keatsian.co.uk
Steph J

Return to Help and Homework