Analysis of Hyperion and Endymion

BEFORE you post a request for help concerning study assignments or research papers here , PLEASE check with the SEARCH ENGINE above to see if there's already a thread on the subject.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Analysis of Hyperion and Endymion

Postby Count-Morgan » Fri Dec 16, 2005 4:17 pm

I'm due to write an analysis of the two works mentioned but am completely stumped as to how to even begin and which conclusions to make...

Furthermore I am to discuss Keats' view of the poet in general and his own personal development as a writer, mainly judging from his letters to John Taylor 27 feb. 1818 and to Richard Woodhouse 27. oct 1818.

How do you even "analyse" a story such as Hyperion? To me it seems more a recollection of events than "poetry" - the composition merely resembles something written in verse.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Count-Morgan

Postby Malia » Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:18 pm

Hi there :)
I'd say your first step would be to find a theme within the works (or perhaps a theme that crosses over the two, if you want to connect them within your analysis). Those are two pretty dense works to write about--it is almost imparitive to choose a theme to help focus your writing (i.e. the philosophy of Beauty in both works--how is it the same, how is it different?). What does he seem to focus on in Endymion versus Hyperion? They are both based on mythical characters (that's similar) but what are the differences? Maybe you could discuss the aspect of "light and shade" (one of Keats's big philosophies) and how they are used (or not used) in each poem.

Perhaps you could take a philosophy that he discusses in his letters (again, like the "light and shade" philosophy) and show us in both poems how he applies that philosophy and/or how it matures and develops from the early poem to the later poem. Endymion is an earlier work than Hyperion and I'd venture to say that, by the time he wrote Hyperion, Keats's poetical philosophies were more developed than in the earlier piece. Perhaps you could show that development.

I forgot to ask. . .when you say, "Hyperion" do you mean the original work or the later "Fall of Hyperion"--where the poet meets Moneta? (I think it would be easier to show his progression of poetical philosophy if you were comparing, say, the idea of "light and shade" between a still "youthful" work, like Endymion, and the Fall of Hyperion, which is one of his last, and therefore contains a more developed philosophy of poetry and the poet.)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Return to Help and Homework