A Riddle

BEFORE you post a request for help concerning study assignments or research papers here , PLEASE check with the SEARCH ENGINE above to see if there's already a thread on the subject.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

A Riddle

Postby JayFef » Fri Apr 25, 2003 2:38 pm

It is claimed that a Keats poem has the following lines:

What is your name?
It is not one that brings shame.
Why are you of import?
For my soul and my thought.

Does anyone know which poem this snippit is from?
JayFef

Hmmmmm

Postby jayfef » Wed Apr 30, 2003 2:06 pm

It looks like even the Keats experts can't figure this one out.
jayfef

Postby Despondence » Thu May 01, 2003 11:46 am

I think you overestimate the expertise of the people here; most of us are hardly experts, just happy amateurs and enthusiasts.

As for your riddle, are you sure this verse is really Keats'? What is your source for this little text? Divulging a bit more information might help someone figure it out.
Despondence

Postby jayfef » Thu May 01, 2003 5:54 pm

I wasn't given the source of the quote. Though it was mentioned this may have something to do with Fanny Brawne. So it could be from communication he had with her (though I couldn't find mention of these lines in the letters posted here). I've exhausted all avenues of research at my disposal without any luck, but I'm assured this quote is from Keats. Though I'm starting to think that maybe it was a quote made about Keats.
jayfef

Postby Despondence » Thu May 01, 2003 6:13 pm

Actually, now that you mentioned Fanny B, something rings a bell. I have a vague memory of encountering something along those lines in one of the letters, though I'd be hard pressed to remember where.

It seems in any case much more likely to be a quote from a letter to Fanny than a verse of a poem - if you have time (sorry, I don't), get an edition of the letters from the library and scan the letters to Fanny B (they're an interesting read in any case).
Despondence

Return to Help and Homework