keats and mythical ledgend

BEFORE you post a request for help concerning study assignments or research papers here , PLEASE check with the SEARCH ENGINE above to see if there's already a thread on the subject.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

keats and mythical ledgend

Postby tina » Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:46 am

i am having trouble with this question any help would be great thanks

how dose keats use mythical ledgend in his poems to show human adversitys?

please i am really stuck nd in inneed of some seroius help.
thanks

:shock:
tina

Postby Endymion » Mon Apr 28, 2003 11:40 pm

That is an interesting question to pose a student!

I guess you have to really look at the tragic side of Keats to realise what adversities he described in his poetry: there were (As I remember) quite a few instances of this - Look up if you will the Greek legend of Endymion (springs to my mind instantly), of Madeline and Porphyro, of unrequited love and its many manifestations, then take a look at Keats' interpretation of them.

He also tried to show, in Hyperion (read the first part of Book I to get more of an understanding of this) the failure of the Old Gods to stand up to the change of the Titans, the image of old Saturn sitting on the rock, thinking how to beat the Titans and reclaim lost glory is a wonderful picture of the strife and vexation felt by people who lose in the fight for change and progression.

Keats was more than anything a Romanticist, someone who dwelt on the tangible experience of life, feelings mattered so much to him and this comes through very much in his writing and poetry, and the feeling of tragedy is as intense and consuming as feelings of elation and love:

"Death is life's high mead!"

- Hope this helps
"He Stood in His Shoes and he Wondered
He Wondered
He Stood in his Shoes and He Wondered."
Endymion

thanks

Postby tina » Thu May 01, 2003 5:22 pm

:lol:

thank you very much endymion

you have really helped me out
i understand it so much better now.