Herodotus

BEFORE you post a request for help concerning study assignments or research papers here , PLEASE check with the SEARCH ENGINE above to see if there's already a thread on the subject.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Herodotus

Postby Discovery » Sat Mar 11, 2006 2:39 am

Hi, i'm writing an essay on Book II of the Histories by Herodotus at the moment and I was thinking about being a bit arty and putting a Keats quote in to convey the kind of feeling of wonder which must have, in part at least, motivated Herodotus to write about Egypt. If I do put something in i'll use the first four lines of 'On first looking into Chapman's Homer'. It might not really go in what should be an academic essay, any thoughts? Also, is 'On First looking into Chapman's Homer' the best poem to use? Any thoughts would be most welcome.
Nat
Discovery

Re: Herodotus

Postby Despondence » Sat Mar 11, 2006 3:34 am

Nathaniel wrote:It might not really go in what should be an academic essay, any thoughts?

I quoted Keats and Wordsworth in my thesis, though being in every other part an entirely technical work, completely removed from the liberal arts :) On First Looking into Chapman's Homer sounds like a great choice to accompany Herodotus; whatever feels right to you, just go for it.
Despondence

Postby Saturn » Sat Mar 11, 2006 1:10 pm

I would choose 'Ode On A Grecian Urn' or one of the Elgin marbles poems to convey the wonder of Antiquity Keats felt which I think compares to Herodotus similar wonder at viewing the majesty of Egypt.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Return to Help and Homework