analysis... 'a thing of beauty is a joy forever'

BEFORE you post a request for help concerning study assignments or research papers here , PLEASE check with the SEARCH ENGINE above to see if there's already a thread on the subject.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

analysis... 'a thing of beauty is a joy forever'

Postby Marlies » Thu May 25, 2006 10:41 am

Hey

I'm from Belgium. My English is not that good, but I'm going to try to make myself clear
For my English exam, I have to analyse a poem. The poem is of John Keats, and it begins with 'A thing of beauty is a joy forever'.
Is there someone who has some information for me of the poem?
What does 'Endymion' means by the way?

Thanks for your help!!!

XXX
Marlies
Marlies

Postby Marlies » Thu May 25, 2006 10:46 am

Me again :D
Is there someone who knows another poem of John Keats about love? actualy i can choose a poem, but it has to go about love.
any suggestions? I realy need it!!!

thnx!!

XXXX
Marlies

Postby Malia » Thu May 25, 2006 5:11 pm

Marlies wrote:Me again :D
Is there someone who knows another poem of John Keats about love? actualy i can choose a poem, but it has to go about love.
any suggestions? I realy need it!!!

thnx!!

XXXX

Hey Mariles :)
Keats wasn't really known for his love poems, but I would suggest The Eve of St. Agnes (there's a love story in that poem). A more tragic love story can be found in Lamia (where Lycius falls in love with a serpent-woman). These are both pretty long poems. Keats wrote some--what they call--"doggerel" poems that reference sex (if anything else) but I wouldn't call them love poems, really.

I consider Bright Star to be a love poem, in that it was shared by Keats and his girlfriend Fanny Brawne. Bright Star was considered "their" poem. And when you read it, you can see how it could be a love poem (especially if you see the star in the poem as being symbolic of a woman).
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Return to Help and Homework