serious Keats business.... please help!!

BEFORE you post a request for help concerning study assignments or research papers here , PLEASE check with the SEARCH ENGINE above to see if there's already a thread on the subject.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

serious Keats business.... please help!!

Postby sheddy15 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:32 am

Hi, im doing my A level exam on Keats on Monday (26th June) and its a comparative and contextual piece with Wordsworth and Coleridge. I was hoping that maybe some of you wonderful Keats intellects would be able to maybe give me some qoutes that i could use for the following themes? iv put some down (so you can see that i have tried!!)
Negative capability - Do not all charms fly at the mere touch of philosophy?
Imagination - was it a vision or a waking dream?
Views on poetry - the viewless wings of poesy
Tranquility
Sensations

I know theres a lot there but im having a hard time attempting ot put my quotes into some kind of order so any help would be much appreciated! thank u 8) x
sheddy15

Re: serious Keats business.... please help!!

Postby dks » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:41 pm

sheddy15 wrote:Hi, im doing my A level exam on Keats on Monday (26th June) and its a comparative and contextual piece with Wordsworth and Coleridge. I was hoping that maybe some of you wonderful Keats intellects would be able to maybe give me some qoutes that i could use for the following themes? iv put some down (so you can see that i have tried!!)
Negative capability - Do not all charms fly at the mere touch of philosophy?
Imagination - was it a vision or a waking dream?
Views on poetry - the viewless wings of poesy
Tranquility
Sensations

I know theres a lot there but im having a hard time attempting ot put my quotes into some kind of order so any help would be much appreciated! thank u 8) x

You will definitely need some quotes from some of the more famous letters.
Okay:
Negative Capabilty: See letter To George and Thomas Keats December 1817...see quote in next to last paragraph--about what it is that forms a "man of achievement."

Imagination and Sensation: See letter to Benjamin Bailey November 22, 1817--see quotes about sensations rather than thoughts and "what the imagination seizes as beauty"--it goes on to talk about Adam's dream--VERY important Keats quote on Imagination and Truth and Beauty...his very creeds...also includes opining about sensations being the governing aspect of man rather than thought...

Views on Poetry- See letter to John Hamilton Reynolds Feb 3 1818--see quotes about what he thinks poetry should be ("great and unobtrusive") also see letter to Richard Woodhouse October 27 1818-see VERY important quotes about Keats's philosophy on the identity of the poet--the "Camelion Poet." There are MANY more letters where Keats expounded on his views of poetry, but this will provide you with a wealth of quotes/information to start.

Tranquility- See letter to George and Georgiana Keats Feb 14-May 3 1819. See quotes about what it is that makes an "Amusement of Life for the speculative mind."

These should help you get started--you'll find so much in these aforementioned letters that you'll have to pick and choose and pare down!!

Good Luck. :wink:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby sheddy15 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 10:15 pm

thank you thank you thank you!!! x
sheddy15

Postby dks » Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:38 am

:wink:

'Tis not a problem. I'm obsessed with him--it's a labor of

LOVE...
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Return to Help and Homework