Critical appreciation

BEFORE you post a request for help concerning study assignments or research papers here , PLEASE check with the SEARCH ENGINE above to see if there's already a thread on the subject.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Critical appreciation

Postby sheddy15 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 1:41 pm

Another question...
In the exam i have on Monday i have to write a critical appreciation of an unseen romatic text... does anyone have any tips as to how to write a Critical piece? Weve never done one before and iv no idea where i should even start!
Any help would be much appreciated
x
sheddy15

Re: Critical appreciation

Postby Malia » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:01 pm

sheddy15 wrote:Another question...
In the exam i have on Monday i have to write a critical appreciation of an unseen romatic text... does anyone have any tips as to how to write a Critical piece? Weve never done one before and iv no idea where i should even start!
Any help would be much appreciated
x

Hi Sheddy15 :) Sounds like an interesting project you have in front of you. What do you mean by "unseen romantic text". Do you mean you must write a critical essay about a Romantic poem you haven't studied in class?

As far as generally writing a critical piece is concerned, I'd look through your chosen poem/work and create a thesis point--basically you come up with a statement that you will defend in your essay. For example, you could say something like: "John Keats has been considered by many to be a non-political poet (a true aesthete (sp?) ). However, in his unfinished work "The Cap and Bells," Keats makes his politics known." Then you show how his politics shine through the poem, using the poem itself as your evidence. That might not be the best thesis statement, but it gives you an idea of what I mean.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby sheddy15 » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:17 pm

Thank you, thats helped a lot!! yea they give us a piece of romantic poetry/prose and we have to right a critical appreciation of the work with regards to our understanding of the romantic era :shock: BUT considering what i know about the romantics (and ur point about making a statement to defend) i feel ok about it now...
wish me luck!! lol thank u
x
sheddy15

Postby dks » Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:45 pm

:wink:

Couldn't have said it better myself, Miss Malia.
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Return to Help and Homework