Funny Sudent Quote

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Funny Sudent Quote

Postby dks » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:55 pm

I wasn't sure if I should post this here or in "Help and Homework" but I just had to share this--especially since I live and breathe my work right now--I thought perhaps I could bring a bit of my world to you guys--anything to get some time here!

I gave them their Romantics exam and this was one of the questions alongside a provided copy of "Nightingale":

Why would poesy's wings be "viewless"?

My student's answer:

Poesy's wings flap so fast, that one cannot see them.

You gotta love 'em--that was an instant classic...!
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Re: Funny Sudent Quote

Postby Raphael » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:39 am

:lol:
How old is this student?
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby dks » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:33 am

She's 18-ish and quite intelligent but the entire Romantics unit was a rock swallowing for all of them--it was difficult...you know, though, they all loved Keats particularly--of course because their teacher continuously gushes and obesseses... :!:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:23 am

I can see it now, like a female Dead Poets Society. Hope your career doesn't end up like Robin Williams' character :? :wink:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:20 pm

dks wrote:She's 18-ish and quite intelligent but the entire Romantics unit was a rock swallowing for all of them--it was difficult...you know, though, they all loved Keats particularly--of course because their teacher continuously gushes and obesseses... :!:

And did you show her portraits of dear Junkets? :wink:

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby dks » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:47 pm

Raphael wrote:And did you show her portraits of dear Junkets? :wink:

Of course!
dks
Dante

Postby dks » Sat Apr 24, 2010 9:57 pm

Saturn wrote:I can see it now, like a female Dead Poets Society. Hope your career doesn't end up like Robin Williams' character :? :wink:

Too funny you mention the movie Dead Poet's Society, Stephen--I show it in my classes if not for the poetry and the names dropped, but the fact that it is a fantastic coming of age flick with a beautiful, academic setting and such learned endeavors!

In any case, I was showing it a few months ago and noticed something--the boys all read selections from Shelley, Byron, and Wordsworth, etc. and I always wondered why Keats's name was not explicitly mentioned, although I figured Robin Williams's character, Mr. Keating, was named purposely for the intended allusion and almost in homage perhaps. But to my surprise I did find his name mentioned--albeit via a slant. In an old Welton Academy annual that the boys peruse trying to find out more about the elusive Mr. Keating they find the page with his picture and right underneath is his supposed high school nickname. Of course, it read:

"Keats"

Now I love the movie infinitely more...
dks
Dante

Postby Raphael » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:24 pm

dks wrote:
Raphael wrote:And did you show her portraits of dear Junkets? :wink:

Of course!

And she went all misty eyed... :wink:

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Return to Miscellaneous