Regency House Party

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Regency House Party

Postby Raphael » Mon May 03, 2010 10:55 pm

Look at the modern people trying to live as Regency people:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLEuyfD8eeA

Why did the guy say his last cigarrette for 200 years? They had tobacco then! Or is he going to snuff... :lol:
I think alot is missing- as it doesn't show them all arriving at the house and meeting.

Here's the next bit:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjbF-KcFSXU

It's not very realistic as no West Indian woman would be rich like that back then. There's more espisodes to see if you look on you tube.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
User avatar
Raphael
Milton
 
Posts: 1845
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:10 pm
Location: wandering Keats' poetry

Re: Regency House Party

Postby Saturn » Mon May 03, 2010 11:50 pm

I saw that when it was on originally about 5 or 6 years ago. It was interesting, the only 'reality' TV show I've ever consciously actually watched and enjoyed.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 3939
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2004 10:16 am

Re: Regency House Party

Postby Raphael » Mon May 03, 2010 11:59 pm

Saturn wrote:I saw that when it was on originally about 5 or 6 years ago. It was interesting, the only 'reality' TV show I've ever consciously actually watched and enjoyed.

I remember a clip of it vaguely- I haven't had a TV for years! I shall watch them all- it's interesting. I rather like the Hermit!
I'd have been sneaking off to see him like Miss Robinson :lol:
I think they have taken licence with some of how it was though (from reading our poet's letters and history books etc)
There must be something about the clothes as the men look very attractive.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
User avatar
Raphael
Milton
 
Posts: 1845
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:10 pm
Location: wandering Keats' poetry

Re: Regency House Party

Postby Malia » Tue May 04, 2010 2:34 pm

Hmm. . .not able to watch your video clips, Raphael, as I am an encroaching American who does not pay taxes in order to get the BBC! :lol:
But, if you are talking about "Regency House" I remember catching an episode or two when it was shown on public television here in the States. I thought it was OK, but it seemed to me that the men were taking great liberties with their, well, liberty (in comparison to the women). For example, the tradition was that after dinner, women and men would separate for a while. The men to drink port and have cigars, the women to congregate in another room. The women couldn't leave until the men joined them. Well, I would guess that in the real Regency, the men would understand not to spend more than 1/2 hour or an hour together--they would not leave the women waiting too long. In this show, the guys got drunk and left the women waiting for something like 3 hours! I'm not sure that, in most cases, men would have been so thoughtless. The "rules" of the day applied on both sides. Men might have had more liberty--or have been in "charge" of social situations--but that also meant they had more responsibility to be civil and courteous to the ladies.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
User avatar
Malia
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 1606
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:55 am
Location: Washington State, USA

Re: Regency House Party

Postby Raphael » Tue May 04, 2010 7:22 pm

Malia wrote:Hmm. . .not able to watch your video clips, Raphael, as I am an encroaching American who does not pay taxes in order to get the BBC! :lol:
But, if you are talking about "Regency House" I remember catching an episode or two when it was shown on public television here in the States. I thought it was OK, but it seemed to me that the men were taking great liberties with their, well, liberty (in comparison to the women). For example, the tradition was that after dinner, women and men would separate for a while. The men to drink port and have cigars, the women to congregate in another room. The women couldn't leave until the men joined them. Well, I would guess that in the real Regency, the men would understand not to spend more than 1/2 hour or an hour together--they would not leave the women waiting too long. In this show, the guys got drunk and left the women waiting for something like 3 hours! I'm not sure that, in most cases, men would have been so thoughtless. The "rules" of the day applied on both sides. Men might have had more liberty--or have been in "charge" of social situations--but that also meant they had more responsibility to be civil and courteous to the ladies.


Surely you can see the clips on you tube? :shock:
The men did take a few liberties- I have just seen number 6 when they have a hell fire club in the cellar! I think also the chaperones were too strict and it wasn't so in those days that men and women couldn't have outings together- I know from our dear poet's letters that they had mixed social events besides balls. Fanny and he used to walk alone on the Heath together too. They didn't have a chaperone following them around. AND they kissed and touched each other- which this programme says men and women didn't do/were forbidden to do- not quite accurate! The strictness was exaggarated- but it's still fun to watch!
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
User avatar
Raphael
Milton
 
Posts: 1845
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:10 pm
Location: wandering Keats' poetry

Re: Regency House Party

Postby Malia » Tue May 04, 2010 7:36 pm

Raphael, I can't open the clips, not even on Youtube--it tells me that I can't view it in my area (and something about BBC 4), which is the same type of message I get when I try to watch TV clips when I am on the BBC's website. I learned that the reason why I'm not allowed to view is because I don't pay the fees/taxes Brits do in order to have access to the BBC, so they don't let me view. They must have tagged the clips to discern what country the computer is "calling in" from.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
User avatar
Malia
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 1606
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:55 am
Location: Washington State, USA

Re: Regency House Party

Postby Raphael » Wed May 05, 2010 12:02 am

Malia wrote:Raphael, I can't open the clips, not even on Youtube--it tells me that I can't view it in my area (and something about BBC 4), which is the same type of message I get when I try to watch TV clips when I am on the BBC's website. I learned that the reason why I'm not allowed to view is because I don't pay the fees/taxes Brits do in order to have access to the BBC, so they don't let me view. They must have tagged the clips to discern what country the computer is "calling in" from.


How annoying! You would so love the series Malia! I have been glued to it the past two nights- just finished watching the last one. It was made for channel 4 not BBC, so I don't know why the BBC would do this. If only you could see the end when Mr Gorell Barnes walks down the driveway looking melancholy and a car drives past- it's so poignant- he looks like he is not a C.21st man.I'd love to know what happened to them all after- I will have a look and see if there is anything online about them.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
User avatar
Raphael
Milton
 
Posts: 1845
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:10 pm
Location: wandering Keats' poetry

Re: Regency House Party

Postby Raphael » Wed May 05, 2010 12:51 am

John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
User avatar
Raphael
Milton
 
Posts: 1845
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:10 pm
Location: wandering Keats' poetry

Re: Regency House Party

Postby Malia » Wed May 05, 2010 1:19 am

"This service is not currently available in your area"--which is to say, Channel 4 is prejudiced against Americans! :lol: (Just kidding!) I think you have to pay a special TV tax in Britain, right? If so, it would make sense to restrict content to those of us who don't pay that tax. I can always rent the series on Netflix.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
User avatar
Malia
Forum Administrator
 
Posts: 1606
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:55 am
Location: Washington State, USA

Re: Regency House Party

Postby harvest » Wed May 05, 2010 1:36 am

yep ~ for me as well...This video contains content from Channel 4, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

i have seen regency house though! loved it.
Now a soft kiss - Aye, by that kiss, I vow an endless bliss. ~ j. keats
User avatar
harvest
 
Posts: 56
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:56 pm
Location: My Love is selfish - I cannot breathe without you.

Re: Regency House Party

Postby Raphael » Wed May 05, 2010 1:37 am

Malia wrote:"This service is not currently available in your area"--which is to say, Channel 4 is prejudiced against Americans! :lol: (Just kidding!) I think you have to pay a special TV tax in Britain, right? If so, it would make sense to restrict content to those of us who don't pay that tax. I can always rent the series on Netflix.


If one owns a TV there is a TV licence- it shouldn't make a difference to what's on you tube as this is the internet not TV. I hope you get to see the entire series Malia- it is really interesting. Funnily enough the man who was the most romantic and wore his heart on his sleeve was called John (Everett)- rather Keatsian I thought ( a man called John who is named the same as an artist who painted Isabella in the Victorian times)..
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
User avatar
Raphael
Milton
 
Posts: 1845
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:10 pm
Location: wandering Keats' poetry

Re: Regency House Party

Postby Raphael » Wed May 05, 2010 1:39 am

harvest wrote:yep ~ for me as well...This video contains content from Channel 4, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

i have seen regency house though! loved it.


It is good isn't it? Who was your favourite gentleman in the house?
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
User avatar
Raphael
Milton
 
Posts: 1845
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:10 pm
Location: wandering Keats' poetry

Re: Regency House Party

Postby Cybele » Wed May 05, 2010 2:08 am

Raphael wrote:
harvest wrote:yep ~ for me as well...This video contains content from Channel 4, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

i have seen regency house though! loved it.


It is good isn't it? Who was your favourite gentleman in the house?


I remember this series. It was great fun.
I loved it when the one young woman pulled the Lady Caroline Lamb-like stunt. I remember actually being mildly shocked that it was on TV. :shock: :lol:
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
User avatar
Cybele
Calidore
 
Posts: 377
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:19 am
Location: Ohio, USA

Re: Regency House Party

Postby Raphael » Wed May 05, 2010 4:20 pm

[quote="Cybele I remember this series. It was great fun.
I loved it when the one young woman pulled the Lady Caroline Lamb-like stunt. I remember actually being mildly shocked that it was on TV. :shock: :lol:[/quote]

What stunt was that?
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
User avatar
Raphael
Milton
 
Posts: 1845
Joined: Mon Oct 19, 2009 6:10 pm
Location: wandering Keats' poetry

Re: Regency House Party

Postby Cybele » Thu May 06, 2010 11:03 pm

Raphael wrote:[quote="Cybele I remember this series. It was great fun.
I loved it when the one young woman pulled the Lady Caroline Lamb-like stunt. I remember actually being mildly shocked that it was on TV. :shock: :lol:


What stunt was that?[/quote]

Should I say something like, "Spoiler Alert," if the series isn't finished being shown? :?
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
User avatar
Cybele
Calidore
 
Posts: 377
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 1:19 am
Location: Ohio, USA

Next

Return to Miscellaneous

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests