Hung Parliament!

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Hung Parliament!

Postby Raphael » Fri May 07, 2010 3:16 pm

I thought this would happen! The Queen might have to get involved now. For you folks in America this is how it would work:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/ ... 667820.stm
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Re: Hung Parliament!

Postby harvest » Fri May 07, 2010 11:17 pm

i heard/read about that!
Now a soft kiss - Aye, by that kiss, I vow an endless bliss. ~ j. keats
harvest

Postby Raphael » Fri May 07, 2010 11:34 pm

harvest wrote:i heard/read about that!

You got the news about the British Election over in the USA? I'm suprised ...mind you it is an odd place to be in- nobody seems to know what to do!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Malia » Sat May 08, 2010 2:38 pm

Raphael, news of the Hung Parliament is pretty big news here in America. It has been on all the news programs. America and Britain have a pretty close friendship, politically speaking, and so it's not surprising that that would be big news here.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby harvest » Sat May 08, 2010 3:05 pm

Raphael wrote:
harvest wrote:i heard/read about that!

You got the news about the British Election over in the USA? I'm suprised ...mind you it is an odd place to be in- nobody seems to know what to do!

i have a few UK online friends, so yes i heard a few good bits it about it.
Now a soft kiss - Aye, by that kiss, I vow an endless bliss. ~ j. keats
harvest

Postby Raphael » Sat May 08, 2010 7:04 pm

Raphael, news of the Hung Parliament is pretty big news here in America. It has been on all the news programs. America and Britain have a pretty close friendship, politically speaking, and so it's not surprising that that would be big news here.

i have a few UK online friends, so yes i heard a few good bits it about it.

Well, you will both know that so far nothing has been resolved!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Cybele » Sun May 09, 2010 4:59 am

Raphael wrote:I thought this would happen! The Queen might have to get involved now. For you folks in America this is how it would work:

Do you mean to say that the brother of one of the would-be prime ministers doesn't get to decide? :wink:
That's how the Americans do it -- isn't this good enough for the rest of the world? :lol: :lol:
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Cybele » Sun May 09, 2010 5:05 am

Yes -- we've seen a good bit of your election news here.
And you poor, poor Brits -- denied the spectacle of never-ending campaigns. (Whatever do you do to entertain yourselves between elections?)

Please note, the above is meant as a sarcastic comment. I would sincerely like our forever-campaigns to go away. A month, six weeks -- tops -- is long enough, for heaven's sake!
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Malia » Sun May 09, 2010 5:26 am

Echoing Cybele here--you all *must* experience the "joys" of never-ending campaigns. Even after they are elected, so many of our officials simply start gearing up for the next election cycle (which is usually every 2 years). I wish politicians weren't allowed to make commercials and had strong spending limits--that don't allow money from lobbyists. I would love a month-long campaign season.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Sun May 09, 2010 5:29 am

Raphael wrote:I thought this would happen! Queen might have to get involved now.

Queen? Really? I didn't know that band still had such sway over the British people! Granted, once "Radio Gaga" gets in your head, it is almost impossible to get it *out*. That's pretty powerful.

:lol: OK, Ok. It is too late for me to even attempt humor--which is what I was trying to do in the above comment
(and the intentional *misquoting* of your quote, Raphael! :wink: )

And, as can probably also be inferred, I've spent far too much of my day listening to Freddie and friends!

Seriously speaking, though, I can only imagine what it is like not to have an "active" government--as, I'm guessing that because Parliament is dissolved, you don't have an active government right now? How much horse trading will go on between Nick Clegg and David Cameron before the Queen steps in do you think?
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Sun May 09, 2010 10:09 am

Well they have until the opening of parliament and the Queen's speech at the end of the month, so a few more weeks, but they'll probably have beaten out some shoddy deal by the end of this coming week. It's 1974 all over again [the last time there was a hung parliament], though at that time, the PM Edward Heath decided to limp on with a minority government for a few more months.

Personally I hope the Liberal's tell the Tories to stuff it, and no they won't compromise their principles just for a few moments in the sunlight, and that there's another, more decisive election later in the year. If the Tories get in again, I fear a return to what the UK was like in the 80s, and that was not good for the majority of working class people.

The spectre of Margaret Thatcher looms too large to be forgotten in the minds of many.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Sun May 09, 2010 5:32 pm

Cybele wrote:
Raphael wrote:I thought this would happen! The Queen might have to get involved now. For you folks in America this is how it would work:

Do you mean to say that the brother of one of the would-be prime ministers doesn't get to decide? :wink:
That's how the Americans do it -- isn't this good enough for the rest of the world? :lol: :lol:

At this rate we will have a horse as PM! :lol:

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Raphael » Sun May 09, 2010 5:37 pm

[quote="Malia Seriously speaking, though, I can only imagine what it is like not to have an "active" government--as, I'm guessing that because Parliament is dissolved, you don't have an active government right now? How much horse trading will go on between Nick Clegg and David Cameron before the Queen steps in do you think?[/quote]

I was listening to the latest on Radio 4 earlier today and so far Gordon Brown is still the PM and the Labour Party are still in government- they are doing basic governing, but cannot make any new laws, changes etc. Mr Cameron and Mr Clegg are still in talks. It seems they are trying hard to come to some agreement on how they can work together- it also seems neither of them want to be in coiltion with Mr Brown and Labour. It looks like New Labour is finished.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Raphael » Sun May 09, 2010 5:45 pm

Saturn wrote:Well they have until the opening of parliament and the Queen's speech at the end of the month, so a few more weeks, but they'll probably have beaten out some shoddy deal by the end of this coming week. It's 1974 all over again [the last time there was a hung parliament], though at that time, the PM Edward Heath decided to limp on with a minority government for a few more months.

Personally I hope the Liberal's tell the Tories to stuff it, and no they won't compromise their principles just for a few moments in the sunlight, and that there's another, more decisive election later in the year. If the Tories get in again, I fear a return to what the UK was like in the 80s, and that was not good for the majority of working class people.

The spectre of Margaret Thatcher looms too large to be forgotten in the minds of many.

It doesn't look like it Saturn ( re Cameron and Clegg)- see my post above on the latest news. I'm not for any party- they all have their faults to me, is why I didn't vote for any of them.I personally don't think it matters what label they attach to themselves- labour , conservative, lib.dem etc..it's how they work, what their leader is like and so on. Blair was as bad as Thatcher in many ways. I was as glad to see the back of him as I was Thatcher. Whatever Cameron's faults he doesn't seem as bad as Thatcher- time will tell I suppose. New Labour saw some silly season politics- tagging a mature woman for selling a goldfish to a teenager. :roll:
I wouldn't want the Lib Dems on their own- they would make us have the Euro and things would become even more expensive- at least Cameron wouldn't do that.I think a coalition is the best thing, given the circumstances.It works well in other European countries.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Raphael » Wed May 12, 2010 12:40 am

Well it's all resolved- the Lib Dems and Conservatives came to an agreement and the Queen invited David Cameron( Conservative)- to be our new PM and he has accepted. Nick Clegg of the Lib Dems is the deputy PM. Gordon Brown (New Labour) resigned yesterday. So we have a coalition government for the next 5 years. David is the youngest PM for 200 years- he's only 2 years older than me! Coalitions have worked in mainland Europe, so keeping my fingers crossed it will work well here.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Return to Miscellaneous