My Recent Observation

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: My Recent Observation

Postby Raphael » Thu Jun 03, 2010 11:08 pm

Pjerrot wrote:
What is your favourite bird (for its song) where you live?

This is a difficult question! I think I will choose the hermit thrush even though I've only heard one sing once.

Well now you can hear its sweet chirping again!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OE6yZVT1 ... re=related
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Raphael » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:09 am

Pjerrot- a mother Jackdaw and her fledgling have moved into the trees outside my house! I saw Mother feed the young one and is looking after it as it learns to fly- so so sweet! I have been putting bread out on my window sill lately so maybe Mother noticed- and that's why she has come. She did swoop down and take a piece.I bought some black sunflower seeds for her also. Mother and the young one have been talking to each other a lot today- the mother caws and squeaks and the young one squeaks back.The two Jays are still around- one came twice for bread and saw me watching but it was ok as I stayed still, so it must have decided that I'm a friend!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Pjerrot » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:36 am

I've done a little research on the birds you mentioned, the jackdaw and jays. Its interesting to see the fauna of a distant place as I suppose we all get so used to what we have close by unless its quite rare (the American Bittern comes to mind; I've only heard one that stayed a summer near the pond: the call is something one never quite forgets!).

I've also enjoyed feeding birds in person when I have the patience. The hummingbirds however, come closest when I'm busy working in the yard. They always seem to want to know what we're doing to their flowers.
Ah! I will taste that dew, for me ’tis meet,/And when the moon her pallid face discloses,/I’ll gather some by spells, and incantation.
Pjerrot

Postby Raphael » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:00 am

Pjerrot wrote:I've done a little research on the birds you mentioned, the jackdaw and jays. Its interesting to see the fauna of a distant place as I suppose we all get so used to what we have close by unless its quite rare (the American Bittern comes to mind; I've only heard one that stayed a summer near the pond: the call is something one never quite forgets!).

I've also enjoyed feeding birds in person when I have the patience. The hummingbirds however, come closest when I'm busy working in the yard. They always seem to want to know what we're doing to their flowers.

I love the feathered ones! My mother loves birds too- so we often exchange stories of which birds we have seen and fed lately when we meet up. Hummingb irds! Do their wings really make a humming sound?

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Pjerrot » Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:54 am

My great-grandmother really loved birding. No one else in my family ever took it up really. I should really take it up more seriously as I had earlier in my youth.

Hummingbirds really do make a humming or whirring sound as well as a diminutive chirp:

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Ruby ... ird/sounds
Ah! I will taste that dew, for me ’tis meet,/And when the moon her pallid face discloses,/I’ll gather some by spells, and incantation.
Pjerrot

Postby Raphael » Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:28 am

Pjerrot wrote:My great-grandmother really loved birding. No one else in my family ever took it up really. I should really take it up more seriously as I had earlier in my youth.

Hummingbirds really do make a humming or whirring sound as well as a diminutive chirp:

http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Ruby ... ird/sounds

Wow, what amazing sounds! A fascinating bird! I heard a woodpecker in a wood once- the knocking was all echoey and quite magical! Tell you what I'd love to hear ( only heard it on recordings)- a cuckoo!

An afterthought- given my love of birds and clocks- the ideal gift for me would be...a cuckoo clock!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Raphael » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:12 pm

A new visitor today for the seeds- a Dunnock- sweet little brown bird.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Pjerrot » Mon Jun 07, 2010 2:33 am

Raphael, there's plenty on the cuckoo here:

http://ibc.lynxeds.com/species/common-c ... us-canorus

As for woodpeckers, the largest we have in the States is probably the most interesting:

http://ibc.lynxeds.com/species/pileated ... s-pileatus?
Pjerrot

Postby Raphael » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:33 pm

I like this bird website- it's the one that had the jackdaw and rook sounds that made my jackdaws flap their wings and caw and squeak when I played it on the PC!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Cybele » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:09 pm

Favorite bird/bird song?

The humble field sparrow! You can listen: http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Field_Sparrow/id
The song sounds like summer!

Another favorite? The Carolina wren. We had one -- a terribly frightened little thing -- in our kitchen a few years ago. This little, pretty bird has an amazingly loud song. http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/carolina_wren/id

My husband's an avid birder -- He's tried to "convert" me, but birding isn't the best hobby for one so nearsighted as I am. :)
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:12 pm

Cybele wrote:Favorite bird/bird song?

The humble field sparrow! You can listen: http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Field_Sparrow/id
The song sounds like summer!

Another favorite? The Carolina wren. We had one -- a terribly frightened little thing -- in our kitchen a few years ago. This little, pretty bird has an amazingly loud song. http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/carolina_wren/id

My husband's an avid birder -- He's tried to "convert" me, but birding isn't the best hobby for one so nearsighted as I am. :)

Aw they were sweet! I'm short sighted too- but still watch the birds! The Jay just came before again for seeds. The Dunnock has been coming again- a few days ago I played a Dunnock chirping on you tube and my Dunnock flew to the branch outside my window and was chirping back to you tube lol

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Cybele » Mon Jun 21, 2010 1:01 am

Oh -- I love the pileated woodpeckers. They seem to me to be kind of ghostly -- very illusive -- but very beautiful. You just catch sight of their exquisite plumage, and then they're off.

I was disappointed when I learned that the North American cuckoo doesn't say, "cuckoo."
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:39 am

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat? So Woody Woodpecker was a lie? Damn you TV!!!
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous