Ben Whishaw

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: Ben Whishaw

Postby Ennis » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:21 pm

Saturn wrote:Also no feedback from our American friends here about The Hollow Crown?
Has it not aired over there yet?

Yes! Finally, on PBS (public television) (here in North Carolina) - the entire series began late September and finished up recently. I was in a bookstore (Barnes and Noble) yesterday and they had the complete dvd collection. When I get paid Friday, it's mine!

I enjoyed the entire series, but I prefer Kenneth Branagh's Henry V. His "Saint Crispin's Day" speech was more effective, I think. Makes me want to jump through the screen and fight for it - and I'm not even British (although I'm a "wanna-be")!
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:22 pm

Branagh's Henry V is one of the best Shakespeare films ever made, much as I enjoyed the Hollow Crown Henry V, nothing beats the filmic, rousing delivery of Branagh and Patrick Doyle's stunning soundtrack in the background. I admire the fact that they wanted to do that histrionic speech a bit different but for me it will take a hell of a lot to beat Branagh's version.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Ennis » Fri Oct 25, 2013 5:41 pm

Saturn wrote:Branagh's Henry V is one of the best Shakespeare films ever made, much as I enjoyed the Hollow Crown Henry V, nothing beats the filmic, rousing delivery of Branagh and Patrick Doyle's stunning soundtrack in the background. I admire the fact that they wanted to do that histrionic speech a bit different but for me it will take a hell of a lot to beat Branagh's version.

I agree whole-heartedly! Branagh's just a great actour, period. I remember when Henry V was first released, and I took my younger brother with me to see it. I don't remember how old we were, but it was the first Shakespeare film he'd seen since Franco Zeferelli's (sp?) Romeo and Juliet. John was over-whelmed by the entire experience, and we went back several times to see it. He can still quote that whole "band of brothers" excerpt. It gives me goose-bumps just thinking of it. And the English lesson with Emma Thompson/Catherine! Makes me want to go watch the dvd - but that will have to wait until I enjoy Richard II again (and again!) because today's Friday and I promised myself The Hollow Crown! (Is it too weird to get excited over Shakespeare and fine performances of his works?)
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:18 pm

Ennis wrote: (Is it too weird to get excited over Shakespeare and fine performances of his works?)

NO! I love all sorts of Shakespeare adaptations - even the Ethan hawk Hamlet!

You can never see enough different interpretations of the Bard, I think so anyway, was very excited about the Hollow Crown, and I've always sought out obscure adaptations of Shakespeare like Richard Burton's broadway filmed Hamlet to Charlton Heston's Antony And Cleopatra.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Cath » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:29 pm

OK you Ben Whishaw fans, the Indy newspaper is reporting today that he has been confirmed for the Freddie Mercury film (rather nice pic of Ben here btw):

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/ben-whishaw-confirmed-for-freddie-mercury-film-with--dexter-fletcher-to-direct-8995152.html
"Why should we be owls, when we can be Eagles?" (Keats to Reynolds, 3 February 1818)
Cath
Calidore

Postby Cath » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:34 pm

"Why should we be owls, when we can be Eagles?" (Keats to Reynolds, 3 February 1818)
Cath
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:06 am

Still not that sure this is a good idea, but if the script is good (and Ben does seem to pick good ones) this could work.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Cath » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:21 pm

I share your scepticism, Saturn, but BW is nothing if not versatile! I had my doubts about him going from portraying Keats to "Q" in the Bond film, but it worked suprisingly well in the end :) .
Cath
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:18 pm

I don't see him as Freddie Mercury either, but we shall see...
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Ennis » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:12 pm

Check out the trailer for Whishaw's new film, Lilting. Another phenomenal performance for us to experience. I'm sure my British friends are already aware of this, but we Americans won't get to see Ben until the release date in the US, the 26th September. I just think his acting is so hauntingly beautiful; Richard II blows me away every time I watch it.
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:43 am

All you Ben fans out there might want to check out the new Paddington the bear movie as Ben is the voice of Paddington; fun for all the family.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Thu Nov 05, 2015 11:46 pm

There's a new film about Suffragettes- Ben was in it.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous