Ben Whishaw

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: Ben Whishaw

Postby Raphael » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:28 pm

That was interesting- he is also interviewed in the radio times- hope to catch Richard second on i player!
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Raphael » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:59 am

Who saw Richard ii and what did they think? I thought it was very good- quite painful to watch at times though.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Saturn » Mon Jul 16, 2012 3:44 pm

It was excellent, and Ben was very good, the whole series is excellent, can't wait until next week's Henry V.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:55 am

Ben really is a brilliant actor- very versatile and at times moving to watch- he makes it all so real.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Cath » Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:49 pm

New interview with Ben Whishaw from today's Observer for the devoted:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/culture/2013/mar/17/ben-whishaw-interview
"Why should we be owls, when we can be Eagles?" (Keats to Reynolds, 3 February 1818)
Cath
Calidore

Postby Malia » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:04 pm

Oh man am I late to the party on this one! I am a HUGE Ben Whishaw fan and have been for a while now. Living in America, I was not able to see the Hollow Crown series on BBC and I see that it can only be purchased in a Britain-only DVD format online (SO not fair!). Thank God for Youtube--I have been able to see snapshots of the series (up to 15 minute segments) and, unsurprisingly, I was transported by Ben's performance as Richard II. I mean TRANSPORTED. He is definitely one of the best of the new generation of actors. What I would give to see him acting Shakespeare on stage! (What I'd give to get The Hollow Crown series in a format I can view! LOL) I read recently that one of his goals is to play a female in a Shakespearean play on stage. I expect, given his current trajectory, he will achieve that goal before long.

Have you all heard about Alice and Peter yet? Dame Judi Dench and Ben Whishaw on stage together. I think my knees are getting weak. If any of you Brits get to see them in London please write a review. These are two of my most favorite actors ever on stage together. If only we had such talent in America. Aside from Meryl Streep, I can hardly think of an American that has those kinds of chops.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:17 pm

His Richard II was indeed very good, would go as far as to say the series never really reached that height afterwards, much as I think Tom Hiddlestone's Prince Hal and Henry V in the Henry-cycle, Whishaw's Richard was a very hard act to follow.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Ennis » Sun Mar 17, 2013 7:14 pm

Malia wrote:Oh man am I late to the party on this one! I am a HUGE Ben Whishaw fan and have been for a while now. Living in America, I was not able to see the Hollow Crown series on BBC and I see that it can only be purchased in a Britain-only DVD format online (SO not fair!). Thank God for Youtube--I have been able to see snapshots of the series (up to 15 minute segments) and, unsurprisingly, I was transported by Ben's performance as Richard II. I mean TRANSPORTED. He is definitely one of the best of the new generation of actors. What I would give to see him acting Shakespeare on stage! (What I'd give to get The Hollow Crown series in a format I can view! LOL) I read recently that one of his goals is to play a female in a Shakespearean play on stage. I expect, given his current trajectory, he will achieve that goal before long.

Have you all heard about Alice and Peter yet? Dame Judi Dench and Ben Whishaw on stage together. I think my knees are getting weak. If any of you Brits get to see them in London please write a review. These are two of my most favorite actors ever on stage together. If only we had such talent in America. Aside from Meryl Streep, I can hardly think of an American that has those kinds of chops.

True, true! Everything you said is true. Whishaw is the best actour to come along in, I don't know, forever! I fell in love with him when I saw Perfume; I had to check out the man playing Keats and I have been in love with him ever since. If you go to his Facebook page, you can access the entire Richard II, or one could at one time. That's how I was able to see the entire play, and God, I don't think I moved for ten minutes after it was over! That "Let us sit on the ground and tell sad stories of the death of kings" and his abdication and death scenes really affected me. I wish there was some way we could tell him what we think of him as an actour (as well as his portrayal of Keats). I, too, would kill to see Ben and Judi Dench on stage together; why can't the powers that be help us out!? I so live in the wrong country!
Last edited by Ennis on Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Malia » Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:23 pm

Thank you so much for giving me a way to see the entire Richard II, Ennis! I had no idea it was available in its full form. I can't wait to sit down to it and just drink it all in. I have been able to see the abdication scene on line--and the death scene--both were riveting. I cajoled my mom and dad into watching the abdication scene last night and my dad (who is not familiar with Ben or much Shakespeare) said he wished there were more. Of course, I sent them the link to the entire production.

In looking into this production a little further, I learned that part of the inspiration for this particular interpretation of Richard II was--of all people--Michael Jackson. It makes perfect sense in that both Jackson and Richard came to power as children. Being thrust into an adult world at a young age, one is bound to be psychologically stunted--creating, in effect, a kind of "man-child" who doesn't know himself enough to live much beyond the surface and "entertainment."

I was interested to read that, while Whishaw often says that once he's finished a character he quickly forgets him and moves on to the next role, he didn't quite forget Keats. I am not at all surprised by this, as he seems to have a similar artistic philosophy as Keats--esp. when it comes to "Negative Capability"--a quality that is absolutely necessary in the best of actors, in my opinion. I see in Keats's letters the thoughts of a man who would have absolutely become a great playwright, if he'd been given the chance. I think Keats had an actor's spirit in him and that reaches out over time to actors today.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Ennis » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:58 am

Malia wrote:Thank you so much for giving me a way to see the entire Richard II, Ennis! I had no idea it was available in its full form. I can't wait to sit down to it and just drink it all in. I have been able to see the abdication scene on line--and the death scene--both were riveting. I cajoled my mom and dad into watching the abdication scene last night and my dad (who is not familiar with Ben or much Shakespeare) said he wished there were more. Of course, I sent them the link to the entire production.

In looking into this production a little further, I learned that part of the inspiration for this particular interpretation of Richard II was--of all people--Michael Jackson. It makes perfect sense in that both Jackson and Richard came to power as children. Being thrust into an adult world at a young age, one is bound to be psychologically stunted--creating, in effect, a kind of "man-child" who doesn't know himself enough to live much beyond the surface and "entertainment."

I was interested to read that, while Whishaw often says that once he's finished a character he quickly forgets him and moves on to the next role, he didn't quite forget Keats. I am not at all surprised by this, as he seems to have a similar artistic philosophy as Keats--esp. when it comes to "Negative Capability"--a quality that is absolutely necessary in the best of actors, in my opinion. I see in Keats's letters the thoughts of a man who would have absolutely become a great playwright, if he'd been given the chance. I think Keats had an actor's spirit in him and that reaches out over time to actors today.

When you go to Ben's facebook page, go to the 2012 timeline and scroll down to maybe July or August. You'll see a picture of Ben as Richard II on the left and right beneath the picture a Ben-Fan writes "go and watch" or something to that effect. I just double checked before I posted you, and it's still there. Let me know if you have any success. I've tried to order The Hollow Crown series from Barnes and Noble, but I have had no luck. Those British need to remember we were once a colony of theirs and, by rights thereof, should have access to everything they film!
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:04 am

Good posts Malia! John loved the theatre as well didn't he. Bet he'd think Ben is brilliant! I also rate Benedict Cumberbatch. You do have some good actors over stateside- what about Viggo Mortenson and Kevin Spacey? And of course the golden age of cinema- Bogey, Robert Mitchum, Katherine Hepburn etc....

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Saturn » Mon Mar 18, 2013 7:53 am

Benedict Cumberbatch reading Ode to a nightingale, for those interested [and apologies to Ben obsessives for hijacking his thread :wink:]

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A ... ET2rSK&s=1
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Ennis » Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:21 am

Saturn wrote:Benedict Cumberbatch reading Ode to a nightingale, for those interested [and apologies to Ben obsessives for hijacking his thread :wink:]

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A ... ET2rSK&s=1

Cumberbatch recitation is very good, but I still prefer Ben's. Maybe it's because of his theatre training?
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Malia » Tue Mar 19, 2013 3:09 am

I am crushed. The full version of Richard II you linked to on Youtube, Ennis, has been removed from Youtube due to copyright infringement! I just started watching it last night and was all prepared to finish it today. Now I'm gritting my teeth in frustration. It's like having two bites of the most fabulous cake in the world only to have someone snatch the fork from your mouth and cry, "no more cake for you!" Why in Hades can't we get this thing in the US??
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Ennis » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:23 pm

Malia wrote:I am crushed. The full version of Richard II you linked to on Youtube, Ennis, has been removed from Youtube due to copyright infringement! I just started watching it last night and was all prepared to finish it today. Now I'm gritting my teeth in frustration. It's like having two bites of the most fabulous cake in the world only to have someone snatch the fork from your mouth and cry, "no more cake for you!" Why in Hades can't we get this thing in the US??

True! True! And how I've tried!!
Ennis
Calidore

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous