Ben Whishaw

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: Ben Whishaw

Postby Raphael » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:35 pm

It seems to me the general public delights in reaching for conclusions to affirm its wild suspicions.

Indeed! I have seen the article for the gay mag online and it was an interview about the play- of course it was of interest to the gay community because it was a play about a gay man who dates a woman(if I remember rightly). I don't see what's odd about Ben doing an interview with a gay mag if he played a gay character on stage, but of course some people read into it more. Because Ben is a private person and doesn't parade round with glamorous women hanging off his arm that has led to some people labelling him gay. I don't see what it matters what his orientation is anyway- it has no bearing on his acting ability- he has proven he can play any kind of role and his private life is his business!

Mr. Whishaw stated something along the lines of not wanting to be labelled after his characters he portrays, whether homosexual or not.

The more diverse roles he plays, the more it will be harder to label him! And he has already done diverse roles and he is still quite early on in his career.

The worlds of theatre and cinema are -- in my opinion -- making it easier for the public to accept LGBT people by getting straight people to play such roles.

I think that is a a good thing- we had Jude Law play Lord Alfred Douglas in Wilde, and in the same film Orlando Bloom played a rent boy.Wilde is a great film- watched it again recently on you tube.Oh and Colin Firth played a gay man in a film last year- I think he won an award for it. I'd like to see that one actually- cannot remember the name of it though.

And while the fascination at the present time perhaps lies with the gay characters actually being overtly "gay," the symbolism has so much more depth than that. Homosexuality appearing in movies, theatre, and art in general seems to represent the vulnerable, down-and-out, and fate-stricken sort of feeling that is universal to us all as human beings

I think at the moment gay people are shown in a stereotypical way in film- the camp or stricken (eg having problems "coming out", HIV etc). I'd like to see them in films in a non steroetypical way- you know playing someone's friend, boss etc where them being gay is just who they are, a by the by thing. The same could be said for people with disabilities. What the bleep was good in that the main character was a deaf woman, but the subject of the film had nothing to do with her deafness- that wasn't made a point of- she was a woman who happened to be deaf.In fact the problems she was having were not to do with her being deaf.

.... a feeling that Ben is quite talented at portraying on screen (I can't speak personally of his stage ability). I applaud his efforts in tackling such roles and at such an age as his.

Yes- he is talented at portraying those who are vulnerable in some way.

I hope that didn't come off as too raving, but I thought I should offer my opinion. I apologize in advance if I have in any way offended anyone.

No, not at all Pjerrot!

Hopefully it will be shown close by to where I live. I'm very interested to see the switch from Prospero to Prospera.

I hope you get to see it. I think it will be shown in my town as we have an independant cinema which shows art house film, independent and foreign films etc.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Malia » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:07 pm

Yes, it will be nice when the day comes that a gay character can be gay "by-the-by" as Raphael says and that it will be no big deal anymore. I think those days are coming, although I've seen reviews about out gay actors playing straight roles and reviewers being unable to get "past" their real-life orientation to embrace that a gay person can play a straight person! (Even though it is done *all* the frickin' time with great success!)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:09 pm

A side-note about Ben Whishaw . . . I believe there is a look-alike Ben living in my apartment building! I've seen him several times and he's got the same build, complexion, hair color and style--he may be a little younger than Ben, but certainly in the ball park. Hmm. . .wonder if Ben's here in Spokane doing research into his next movie ;)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Cybele » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:24 pm

Malia wrote:Yes, it will be nice when the day comes that a gay character can be gay "by-the-by" as Raphael says and that it will be no big deal anymore. I think those days are coming, although I've seen reviews about out gay actors playing straight roles and reviewers being unable to get "past" their real-life orientation to embrace that a gay person can play a straight person! (Even though it is done *all* the frickin' time with great success!)

Amen to this, Pjerrot & Malia!

I remember some beating of breasts and gnashing of teeth over actors of African descent playing Shakspearian roles (other than Othello) and opera singers portraying the part of someone from a different ethnic background than their own. Thankfully, we've (mostly) gotten past such silliness. Maybe we'll be a bit more reasonable someday soon about sexual orientation/gender identity.
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:59 pm

Malia wrote:Yes, it will be nice when the day comes that a gay character can be gay "by-the-by" as Raphael says and that it will be no big deal anymore. I think those days are coming, although I've seen reviews about out gay actors playing straight roles and reviewers being unable to get "past" their real-life orientation to embrace that a gay person can play a straight person! (Even though it is done *all* the frickin' time with great success!)

I think they are missing the point aren't they Malia- an actor acts....if they are good they should be able to be someone they are not in their real life!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Raphael » Sun Jun 20, 2010 6:00 pm

Malia wrote:A side-note about Ben Whishaw . . . I believe there is a look-alike Ben living in my apartment building! I've seen him several times and he's got the same build, complexion, hair color and style--he may be a little younger than Ben, but certainly in the ball park. Hmm. . .wonder if Ben's here in Spokane doing research into his next movie ;)

If you see him again I dare you to say hello... :wink:

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Pjerrot » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:03 pm

I think at the moment gay people are shown in a stereotypical way in film- the camp or stricken (eg having problems "coming out", HIV etc). I'd like to see them in films in a non steroetypical way- you know playing someone's friend, boss etc where them being gay is just who they are, a by the by thing. The same could be said for people with disabilities. What the bleep was good in that the main character was a deaf woman, but the subject of the film had nothing to do with her deafness- that wasn't made a point of- she was a woman who happened to be deaf.In fact the problems she was having were not to do with her being deaf.

Agreed, Raphael.

I remember some beating of breasts and gnashing of teeth over actors of African descent playing Shakspearian roles (other than Othello) and opera singers portraying the part of someone from a different ethnic background than their own. Thankfully, we've (mostly) gotten past such silliness. Maybe we'll be a bit more reasonable someday soon about sexual orientation/gender identity.

Isn't that what "acting" is supposed to be, adopting an alternate persona/identity? I know Raphael had stated something to this effect as well.

A side-note about Ben Whishaw . . . I believe there is a look-alike Ben living in my apartment building! I've seen him several times and he's got the same build, complexion, hair color and style--he may be a little younger than Ben, but certainly in the ball park. Hmm. . .wonder if Ben's here in Spokane doing research into his next movie :wink:

Malia, the doppelgänger is such a fascinating and entertaining idea :) . Although I think I read somewhere that Ben actually has a twin...
Ah! I will taste that dew, for me ’tis meet,/And when the moon her pallid face discloses,/I’ll gather some by spells, and incantation.
Pjerrot

Postby Raphael » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:22 pm

Malia, the doppelgänger is such a fascinating and entertaining idea :) . Although I think I read somewhere that Ben actually has a twin...

Yes he does- but I don't know if he is an identical twin though.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Saturn » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:35 pm

I think you ladies might want to take a look at this fansite for Ben:

http://ben-whishaw.com/
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Mon Jun 21, 2010 12:50 am

Saturn wrote:I think you ladies might want to take a look at this fansite for Ben:

http://ben-whishaw.com/

Thanks Saturn- not seen this before.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Jupiter » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:29 am

Raphael wrote:

Yes he does- but I don't know if he is an identical twin though.

He's not, he said that in an interview, can't remember which, though. He said that they are nothing alike physically, and that his brother (I think his name is James) is not at all interested in acting.
Jupiter

Postby Malia » Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:57 pm

I understand that *none* of his family are in the arts. I think his Dad is an engineer and his mother works as a cosmetics salesperson.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:26 pm

True, Ben is the only arty person in his family- no-one is interested in acting but him- they don't know where it came from. Maybe he had a great grandparent who was a stage actor.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Jupiter » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:47 pm

Here's the interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jm1y5LmVEo

This was taken at some point after Perfume, he talks about his career and what it means for him to act and such. I find it amazing that, unlike so many actors, he doesn't do it for the money, fame or recognition. He seems to live through it, at one moment he says that he gets all twitchy when he hasn't acted for a long time, it's as if it were a drug he was addicted to. I also think that in real life he's rather shy and introverted, you get a scene of him biting at his thumb, and I find sometimes he has difficulty finding his words. He's a little like Grenouille, his character in Perfume, who had an overdeveloped sense of smell but no smell of his own; Ben can effortlessly transform into any character, but seems to have trouble just being himself. He really is quite an amazing, enigmatic being...
Jupiter

Postby Raphael » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:08 pm

Jupiter wrote:Here's the interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jm1y5LmVEo

This was taken at some point after Perfume, he talks about his career and what it means for him to act and such. I find it amazing that, unlike so many actors, he doesn't do it for the money, fame or recognition. He seems to live through it, at one moment he says that he gets all twitchy when he hasn't acted for a long time, it's as if it were a drug he was addicted to. I also think that in real life he's rather shy and introverted, you get a scene of him biting at his thumb, and I find sometimes he has difficulty finding his words. He's a little like Grenouille, his character in Perfume, who had an overdeveloped sense of smell but no smell of his own; Ben can effortlessly transform into any character, but seems to have trouble just being himself. He really is quite an amazing, enigmatic being...

I saw this once before but forgot he mentioned his brother. I love his voice don't you? They way he speaks is so unusual and nice to the ear. I like the way he said "Armani suit"- that was funny. He does seem shy yes..I am surprised Jane Campion said he's not. I predict Ben will become on of the most respected and honoured actors the world has ever seen and win loads of Oscars!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous