Ben Whishaw

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: Ben Whishaw

Postby Jupiter » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:26 pm

I love his voice don't you?

Oh yes, most definitely, he's so soft spoken and his voice is sweet and soothing, but without being boring or monotonous. I could just listen to him for hours. I think he should record some poetry - wouldn't that be lovely?

He does seem shy yes..I am surprised Jane Campion said he's not.

Hmmm when/where did she say that? Well I guess it depends, maybe he wasn't shy on the set, because that's where he feels at home, he belongs there, but in the interviews I've seen of him he always comes off as so lovably bashful, you'd just want to give him a big hug :oops:

I predict Ben will become on of the most respected and honoured actors the world has ever seen and win loads of Oscars!

That would be great, he'd deserved it, but he doesn't seem to care too much for that. I only wish to see him act in many many films - he's a feast for the senses, for the mind and the heart. I want to him to stay true to his conviction and talent, I'd hate it if he was become another one of those Hollywood stars, but I think I can rest assured on that particular aspect. Here's what he said about it in an interview:

“I’ve been out to Los Angeles a couple of times. I feel completely terrified, totally flummoxed, like I don’t understand what the hell is going on. I’ve no desire at all to go back there.”

He's a real artist, not one of those manufactured, mass-produced 'celebrities'.
Jupiter

Postby Raphael » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:01 pm

I think he should record some poetry - wouldn't that be lovely?

I've been saying all along he should make a CD of him reciting John's poems. Nobody reads them like Ben- he has such tone, emotion, mood and makes the words come alive.

Hmmm when/where did she say that? Well I guess it depends, maybe he wasn't shy on the set, because that's where he feels at home, he belongs there, but in the interviews I've seen of him he always comes off as so lovably bashful, you'd just want to give him a big hug :oops:

It is on a you tube interview. Me thinks you have a little crush on Ben... :wink:

I predict Ben will become on of the most respected and honoured actors the world has ever seen and win loads of Oscars!

That would be great, he'd deserved it, but he doesn't seem to care too much for that. I only wish to see him act in many many films - he's a feast for the senses, for the mind and the heart. I want to him to stay true to his conviction and talent, I'd hate it if he was become another one of those Hollywood stars, but I think I can rest assured on that particular aspect.

I didn't mean in the Hollywood sense- but a great respected actor like Laurence Olivier was or John Mills.

Here's what he said about it in an interview:

“I’ve been out to Los Angeles a couple of times. I feel completely terrified, totally flummoxed, like I don’t understand what the hell is going on. I’ve no desire at all to go back there.”

Aw how sweet! I can imagine the plastic glamour girls would perplex him.

He's a real artist, not one of those manufactured, mass-produced 'celebrities'

He is- I think it wouldn't be going too far to say he has genius.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Saturn » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:16 pm

Raphael wrote:Me thinks you have a little crush on Ben... :wink:

Methinks all you ladies are at a swoon over Mr. Whishaw's charms :wink:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Jupiter » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:24 pm

Raphael wrote:I've been saying all along he should make a CD of him reciting John's poems. Nobody reads them like Ben- he has such tone, emotion, mood and makes the words come alive.

Oh that he should. We should make a petition and get it signed by as many people as possible then send it to him. As a gentleman that he is, he couldn't say no to such a request, could he?

Me thinks you have a little crush on Ben... :wink:

Ummm well maybe a little... But then can you blame me? How could any woman in her right mind not have a crush on such an immensely talented, intelligent, beautiful, and sweet person? I'm almost tempted to think he must be perfect. Plus, he likes cats, and that gets him a few bonus points 8)

I didn't mean in the Hollywood sense- but a great respected actor like Laurence Olivier was or John Mills.

Oh that... well it would be nice, but even if he doesn't he still remains an exceptional actor!

Here's what he said about it in an interview:

He's a real artist, not one of those manufactured, mass-produced 'celebrities'

He is- I think it wouldn't be going too far to say he has genius.

He does... after all he did manage to impress with his performance of Hamlet when he was but 23... and that's a rare achievement!

Anyway, have you seen this already?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-G3-gtL6OU

Looks like fun... I'll watch when I have time.
Jupiter

Postby Raphael » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:58 pm

Saturn wrote:
Raphael wrote:Me thinks you have a little crush on Ben... :wink:

Methinks all you ladies are at a swoon over Mr. Whishaw's charms :wink:

:lol:

A certain poet makes me swoon...

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Raphael » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:05 pm

Oh that he should. We should make a petition and get it signed by as many people as possible then send it to him. As a gentleman that he is, he couldn't say no to such a request, could he?

He just might- he really loved being John Keats in Bright Star!

Me thinks you have a little crush on Ben... :wink:

Ummm well maybe a little... But then can you blame me? How could any woman in her right mind not have a crush on such an immensely talented, intelligent, beautiful, and sweet person? I'm almost tempted to think he must be perfect. Plus, he likes cats, and that gets him a few bonus points 8)

I can see why you do.

He does... after all he did manage to impress with his performance of Hamlet when he was but 23... and that's a rare achievement!

I'd love to have seen him as Hamlet.

Anyway, have you seen this already?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-G3-gtL6OU

Looks like fun... I'll watch when I have time.

No- watching it now!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Pjerrot » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:21 am

I think that is a a good thing- we had Jude Law play Lord Alfred Douglas in Wilde, and in the same film Orlando Bloom played a rent boy.Wilde is a great film- watched it again recently on you tube.

Raphael: I recently found the clipped version of Wilde on youtube; I enjoyed it very much even though some parts were a bit difficult to watch.
Last edited by Pjerrot on Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ah! I will taste that dew, for me ’tis meet,/And when the moon her pallid face discloses,/I’ll gather some by spells, and incantation.
Pjerrot

Postby Raphael » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:46 pm

[quote="Pjerrot
Raphael: I recently found the clipped version of Wilde on youtube; I enjoyed it very much even though some parts were a bit difficult to watch.[/quote]

I thought it was the whole version- but then it is some time since I saw it at the cinema. did you mean the court and prison scenes? Wasn't Jude Law good as Bosie? It's the best role I have seen him do.

Have you read De Profundis ( letter to Bosie written whilst Oscar was in prison)and his letter to The Daily Chronicle on Prison Reform? They make fascinating reading. I have the complete works of Oscar.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Pjerrot » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:37 pm

I thought it was the whole version- but then it is some time since I saw it at the cinema. did you mean the court and prison scenes? Wasn't Jude Law good as Bosie? It's the best role I have seen him do.

Raphael, I should have clarified: The entire film was posted but some of the more lustful scenes were cut and available in Spanish with English subtitles. I must confess, its been a while since I've last spoken Spanish... Even then, it wasn't anything but mere basics. I thought Jude Law was fantastic in his role but the character of Lord Alfred Douglas was a little naive to the ways of the world and harsh at times. I suppose when one's father is a tyrranical bully there isn't much getting past some of those qualities. And yes, I did mean the court and prison scenes. I really thought it great the way Stephen Fry as Oscar Wilde calmly and wittily responded to the questioning and I especially liked the bit about other great poets and their lovers.

Have you read De Profundis ( letter to Bosie written whilst Oscar was in prison)and his letter to The Daily Chronicle on Prison Reform? They make fascinating reading. I have the complete works of Oscar.

I have not read these -- I now plan to. After watching the film, I now plan on reading more into Oscar Wilde's life and work.
Ah! I will taste that dew, for me ’tis meet,/And when the moon her pallid face discloses,/I’ll gather some by spells, and incantation.
Pjerrot

Postby Ennis » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:19 pm

Who cares if he's gay or not!! (and I KNOW we ALL don't). The only things that matter are that he's a DAMN fine actour and mighty "purty" to look upon. . . !!!
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:33 pm

Ennis wrote:Who cares if he's gay or not!! (and I KNOW we ALL don't). The only things that matter are that he's a DAMN fine actour and mighty "purty" to look upon. . . !!!

Agreed. :D

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Raphael » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:39 pm

Raphael, I should have clarified: The entire film was posted but some of the more lustful scenes were cut and available in Spanish with English subtitles. I must confess, its been a while since I've last spoken Spanish... Even then, it wasn't anything but mere basics.

I saw the Spanish clips yes.

I thought Jude Law was fantastic in his role but the character of Lord Alfred Douglas was a little naive to the ways of the world and harsh at times. I suppose when one's father is a tyrranical bully there isn't much getting past some of those qualities.

I thought he played Bosie was a wounded young man and could see why initially Oscar would have been drawn to him- Oscar was a generous man.When you read De Profundis you will get a real sense of Oscar's kindness to Bosie.

And yes, I did mean the court and prison scenes. I really thought it great the way Stephen Fry as Oscar Wilde calmly and wittily responded to the questioning and I especially liked the bit about other great poets and their lovers.

The court scene was heavily cut that I saw on you tube- the bits where Oscar talked about the Greeks in detail wasn't there.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Saturn » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:08 pm

Some Ben news for you Whishaw obsessives :wink:

http://www.deadline.com/2010/07/british ... -of-death/
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:55 pm

You must be rather a fan yourself to have found this Saturn.. :wink:
Interesting....how long will he be doing this for I wonder?

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Saturn » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:09 pm

I regularly trawl the movie/TV news, saw that just thought I'd share it with you guys.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous