Ben Whishaw

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: Ben Whishaw

Postby Ennis » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:32 pm

Malia wrote:I am crushed. The full version of Richard II you linked to on Youtube, Ennis, has been removed from Youtube due to copyright infringement! I just started watching it last night and was all prepared to finish it today. Now I'm gritting my teeth in frustration. It's like having two bites of the most fabulous cake in the world only to have someone snatch the fork from your mouth and cry, "no more cake for you!" Why in Hades can't we get this thing in the US??

Did you try typing in Richard II The Hollow Crown series and then hit the video tab of your search engine? I'm talking of Google, and I'm very, very far from being anywhere near computer literate, so you may think my suggestion a dumb one. But, it never hurts to try all avenues when it comes to Whishaw/Keats!
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:45 am

Without suggesting anything illegal, there are ways and means of downloading it if you know where to look...
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Ennis » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:33 am

Saturn wrote:Without suggesting anything illegal, there are ways and means of downloading it if you know where to look...

Tell me more!
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Malia » Sun Mar 24, 2013 6:36 am

Yes, do. I've looked high and low for a way to watch it in the US. So far--nothing. Legal, that is ;
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Ennis » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:31 am

At this point, in terms of my frustration at trying to get a copy of (at least) Richard II, I'm not too sure ethics is that big of a deal (with me).
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Ennis » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:38 am

Saturn,

just read my PM after my last post. Thanks.
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:25 am

Anyone else interested in getting a copy drop me a PM...
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Sat Apr 06, 2013 10:05 pm

I'm sure I don't know what you mean Saturn.... :lol: :wink:
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Cath » Mon May 13, 2013 1:45 am

Ben Whishaw won a BAFTA award last night for his Richard II (The Hollow Crown) performance:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2013/may/12/baftas-2013-all-the-winners
"Why should we be owls, when we can be Eagles?" (Keats to Reynolds, 3 February 1818)
Cath
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Mon May 13, 2013 6:37 am

A well deserved win! Congratulations to Ben.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Malia » Mon May 13, 2013 7:04 pm

VERY well deserved! I'm so happy for him :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Ennis » Sat May 18, 2013 12:08 am

Malia wrote:VERY well deserved! I'm so happy for him :)

Certainly was earned! He seems such a humble fellow; very unassuming and unpretentious. His acceptance speech was engaging, and he has the prettiest smile I think I've ever seen! He's almost too pretty to be a man. He is the complete package: outstanding actor, very easy on the eyes, and appears to be just a downright all-around nice guy. Too bad I'm too old (like I'd ever stand a chance!), and his sexuality is irrelevant. I'd like to meet him, and I wish I could see Judi Dench and him, my two favourite actors!, on stage in "Peter and Alice." Oh, well. It's no fun living across "the Pond" -- missing out on all the cool stuff in what is, in my opinion, the greatest city in the world and especially missing out on all those wonderful events hosted by the Keats House. I would really like to participate in the Keats walk around old Hampstead. Maybe if I ever get back to London, I can time the visit accordingly!
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Malia » Tue May 21, 2013 5:21 pm

I feel right with you on all points, Ennis! Being so far away from such great acting (the London stage!) and all the great Keats House events is so frustrating. What I'd give to see my 2 favorite actors on stage together--Ben and Judi! Even if the play, itself, is less than perfect. . .let's just say, I'd pay to hear them give a dramatic recitation of the phone book.

Yes, Ben deserved his BAFTA win. I think no one was surprised that he won (other than he, himself--which kind of boggles my mind). It seems so touchingly ironic that he could be such a bold and powerful presence on stage and screen--I've heard people say that he is wonderfully self-assured when he's working--and yet be so nervous when he has to be "himself".

Regarding his looks--he does have a kind of androgynous quality (though he is still obviously a guy). And he does like to explore the lines between male/female and straight/gay a lot in his work--which I find fascinating. I've heard him say that he would love to play a woman (probably on stage in Shakespeare. . .where suspension of disbelief can be held a little better than via a movie). I'd love to see that! I'm sure he'd take gender-bending to new heights.

Also, I think his hair should win its own academy award for acting. It almost has a life of its own! LOL
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Ennis » Tue May 21, 2013 5:39 pm

Malia wrote:I feel right with you on all points, Ennis! Being so far away from such great acting (the London stage!) and all the great Keats House events is so frustrating. What I'd give to see my 2 favorite actors on stage together--Ben and Judi! Even if the play, itself, is less than perfect. . .let's just say, I'd pay to hear them give a dramatic recitation of the phone book.

Yes, Ben deserved his BAFTA win. I think no one was surprised that he won (other than he, himself--which kind of boggles my mind). It seems so touchingly ironic that he could be such a bold and powerful presence on stage and screen--I've heard people say that he is wonderfully self-assured when he's working--and yet be so nervous when he has to be "himself".

Regarding his looks--he does have a kind of androgynous quality (though he is still obviously a guy). And he does like to explore the lines between male/female and straight/gay a lot in his work--which I find fascinating. I've heard him say that he would love to play a woman (probably on stage in Shakespeare. . .where suspension of disbelief can be held a little better than via a movie). I'd love to see that! I'm sure he'd take gender-bending to new heights.

Also, I think his hair should win its own academy award for acting. It almost has a life of its own! LOL

Malia:

have you seen Ben's portrayal of Ariel in The Tempest? I'm sure you have, but you may not know that on the dvd there's a director's commentary, and Julie Taymor (?) addresses that whole androgynous take on Ben's character portrayal.
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Mon May 27, 2013 12:49 am

Just watched Brideshead Revisted! It's on bbc iplayer. Ben was brilliant as Sebastian Flyte. His portrayal of Sebastian is moving- a vulnerable, fragile young man.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

PreviousNext

Return to Miscellaneous