Keats cross stitch

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Keats cross stitch

Postby Ennis » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:57 pm

Hey, everyone!

One of my hobbies that I can't seem to get to until summer arrives is cross stitching. This is my last day at school before summer holiday, and I've been "Googling" my eyeballs out trying to find (on-line) any Keats-related cross stitch designs to maybe work on this summer. I've about finished a Grecian urn picture (haven't worked on it for a year now, so we'll see. . . ), and I'm looking for something new to begin (and finish 5 years from now!!). I found a site that sold a pattern based on a "La Belle Dame . . . " painting by one of the artists of the pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood ("For side-long would she bend and sing a faery song . . . " is the verse in the ballad the design is based on), but it appears to be so intricate in detail that I'll probably die before I ever finish it!
Any suggestions will be most welcome and helpful.
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Re: Keats cross stitch

Postby dks » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:01 pm

I envy your endeavors, E. I couldn't cross-stitch my way out of a potato sack. :!:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Raphael » Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:50 pm

dks wrote:I envy your endeavors, E. I couldn't cross-stitch my way out of a potato sack. :!:

Same here dks- I cannot sew for toffee! I'd love to see the finished things Ennis- perhaps you could post the photos when you are done. If I could embroider I'd do one of John and Fanny together! Their two heads and Wentworth Place in the background...
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Malia » Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:01 pm

I enjoy cross-stitch too, Ennis. I rarely have time to dig into a project--although I keep my stitching box out in the living room, just in case. I'll bet there is something Keats-related out there. If there isn't, you could always design something! Even just taking a quote or a stanza and stitching a boarder around it of the flowers Keats loved would be excellent.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:28 pm

Malia wrote:I enjoy cross-stitch too, Ennis. I rarely have time to dig into a project--although I keep my stitching box out in the living room, just in case. I'll bet there is something Keats-related out there. If there isn't, you could always design something! Even just taking a quote or a stanza and stitching a boarder around it of the flowers Keats loved would be excellent.

When you say "cross stitch" do you mean embroidery? Well, I know that one can use a drawing as a template for embroidery- so you could use one of the portraits. :D
I think you would trace it onto the cloth? What things have you sewed Malia?

I cannot sew for toffee, but I can make home made ointments (I attended a few workshops the other year)! I just made a batch in 30 minutes!!! (Firstly one soaks flowers/leaves in oil for a week or two- I used nettles and Marigolds in sweet almond oil with a little virgin olive oil). I strained the oil, melted some shea butter, coconut oil and beeswax and added the almond/olive oil (which had had the flowers and nettles soaked in it) and poured it into glass jars and added a few drops of Lavender and Myrhh essential oils. I popped them in the fridge and they have set into lovely pale green ointments! They smell nice and are soothing for the eczema. I didn't even use measurements- I just guessed the amounts! Sorry for my slight smugness- but I'm right happy to have made them- it is much cheaper than buying natural ointments.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Ennis » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:47 pm

Hey, everyone --

I have a simple request that won't take much time, please. Even if you don't cross stitch, consider this request. There's a magazine published in England, bath, I believe, that designs patterns that are portraits of famous people. Almost all of their patterns are of contemporary/ pop-culture folks; however, you can e-mail them and request an individual, which I did -- of Our Dear Boy. Fortunately (or perhaps, UNfortunately), I mentioned in my e-mail to them that if they were to oblige my simple request, many Keatsians would appreciate it. So, as not to make me look the fool, if y'all would send a like e-mail requesting Our Mr. Keats in cross stitch, I certainly would appreciate it. Guys (as in men), even though you may be like Brown in "Bright Star" ("Cross stitch? I don't even know what that is." [I'm sure that quote is not verbatim]), could you oblige my request as well? Maybe if the editors suddenly get this (weird) barrage of requests, they'll consider Mr. Keats for a future issue.

Thanks loads in advance.

The e-mail address is: crossstitcher@futurenet.com
If you're interested in the magazine's site: http://www.crossstitchermagazine.co.uk
There's also a place on the magazine's site where you can contact them, but it'll just give you the first address I typed in for you.

I love you guys.
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:22 pm

Done it even though I cannot sew for toffee.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Return to Miscellaneous