What the....

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

What the....

Postby Jupiter » Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:50 pm

So, I just chanced upon this picture while sailing the web

:shock:
Jupiter

Re: What the....

Postby Malia » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:10 pm

Someone had too much time on his or her hands . . . what a crazy thing to make.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:57 pm

I think this is what passes for frat boy 'humour'. They've obviously run out of pictures of cats to add captions to, only difference is the lolcats are funny, this is just vulgar and mindless.

Isn't the internet wonderful? :roll:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:51 pm

...this is interesting to me because I am around seventeen and eighteen year-olds all day at work-teaching them-and at times they almost always have to glom all of their own modern 'sensibilities' onto a work of literature or something in history in order to fully make it understood by them and their peers...it's a self-preserving (and self-serving) interpretation practice, if you will-and, believe it or or not, the 'tribute' you see above is actually supposed to be honorary in all it's ornery-ness!
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Raphael » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:12 am

I find it highly disrespectful. :evil:
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Ennis » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:00 pm

dks wrote:...this is interesting to me because I am around seventeen and eighteen year-olds all day at work-teaching them-and at times they almost always have to glom all of their own modern 'sensibilities' onto a work of literature or something in history in order to fully make it understood by them and their peers...it's a self-preserving (and self-serving) interpretation practice, if you will-and, believe it or or not, the 'tribute' you see above is actually supposed to be honorary in all it's ornery-ness!

Have to agree with dks and Raphael. It is disgusting (especially that "F*** sister" bit), but it IS so high-school. I work with 13 years old kids all day for most of the year, and I have to agree with what dks says about "a self-preserving and self-serving interpretation practice" (even with middle-schoolers). I also agree it's most likely a compliment (in a teen-age sort of way!), and I'd like to think that Keats himself would have gotten a nice laugh from it, as long as he read it before he got too sick, when he still had that bawdy sense of humour. . .
If I had time now, I'd consider analyzing with y'all that "ode" verse by verse and how each may be able to connect to some aspect of Keats (forgive the Southern contraction, but once ingrained, always ingrained . . .). I like doing that, you know, analyzing literature. . . Oh, another connection to Keats, although not intentionally meant to be so: read the lyrics to John Mayer's "Say" and tell me what you think about each verse and some relationship to Keats.
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Cybele » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:37 am

Oh my --
You know something?
You're all right!
Yes, somebody had too much time on his/her hands.
Yes, yes this is "frat boy"/high school humor.
It sure is disrespectful, but yup,in its adolescent-sort-of-way, this is a tribute.
I'd say its a variety of trash-talking meant to get a rise out of someone. And looking at the response here, it worked! :lol:
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Return to Miscellaneous