Louisville, Kentucky

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Louisville, Kentucky

Postby Cybele » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:21 am

Folks, I'm going to be traveling to Louisville next week for a couple of days. I plan to visit George's grave and the Unitarian church where the Keats family worshiped. (I promise to take lots of pictures.)

Does anyone else have any suggestions about other Keats-related sites I should visit while there?

Any advice will be gratefully accepted.
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Re: Louisville, Kentucky

Postby BrokenLyre » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:50 pm

Hey Cybele,
I visited George Keats' grave site last July with my family. Cave Hill Cemetery is downtown Louisville and is a beautiful place - especially as it is a 300 acre refuge from the noise of the city. (The city has just grown around it).

I loved seeing the monuments of George and his family. Felt so many things really...I could only stay for 30 minutes because I was driving to Florida that day.
I believe George's plot is in Section 15. Lot O. Stop at the guard house and they will give you a map of the cemetery and tell you exactly where to go. You can also see Colonel Sanders' monument (KFC fame) as well.

Look forward to your pictures.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Raphael » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:03 pm

Have a great time Cybele!
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Cybele » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:54 am

BrokenLyre wrote:Hey Cybele,
I visited George Keats' grave site last July with my family. Cave Hill Cemetery is downtown Louisville and is a beautiful place - especially as it is a 300 acre refuge from the noise of the city. (The city has just grown around it).

I loved seeing the monuments of George and his family. Felt so many things really...I could only stay for 30 minutes because I was driving to Florida that day.
I believe George's plot is in Section 15. Lot O. Stop at the guard house and they will give you a map of the cemetery and tell you exactly where to go. You can also see Colonel Sanders' monument (KFC fame) as well.

Look forward to your pictures.

Thanks, B.L. I'd already looked up the location of the grave, but thanks for the tip on getting a map! (I'm so topographically impaired that I get lost inside of buildings. :) )

I saw photos of Colonel Sanders' monument on t he cemetery website. It's funny what people choose to revere, isn't it?

Thanks again!
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Cybele » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:38 pm

Thank you again, Broken Lyre. Had I not known maps were available I would have wandered around forever while trying to figure out the cemetery's grave plot numbering system.
Here is a picture of the Keats family monument. It appears to have been erected by Georgiana's second husband.

In the lower center is George's grave.(You can almost make out his initials, "G.K." on the top of the headstone.) Georgiana's is next to his. Both stones seem to be made of limestone and are weather-worn and eroded.

The large family marker with a relief of the Sosibios vase in the center of the photo marks the graves of several descendants.
Last edited by Cybele on Mon May 30, 2011 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:12 pm

Great photos! Thanks for sharing them.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby harvest » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:09 am

lovely pics ~ thanks!
Now a soft kiss - Aye, by that kiss, I vow an endless bliss. ~ j. keats
harvest

Postby BrokenLyre » Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:43 am

Thanks, Cybele. I liked seeing your pics as I remember the place from last year. I hope I get in that area again. I always thought that Louisville Kentucky would make a nice "Keats Conference" or "Keats Gathering" as it is centrally located in the US and is where George lived.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Malia » Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:39 pm

It would definitely be easier for me to travel to Louisville for a Keats gathering than it would to travel to London, although it is still clear across country. Why can't our great Romantics be connected in some way with the Pacific Northwest? Everything is so da** far away from here! :lol:
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Cybele » Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:34 pm

Malia wrote:It would definitely be easier for me to travel to Louisville for a Keats gathering than it would to travel to London, although it is still clear across country. Why can't our great Romantics be connected in some way with the Pacific Northwest? Everything is so da** far away from here! :lol:

I would not mind going there again -- but would much prefer cooler weather! It was in the high 90s, and I thought my flip-flops were in danger of melting on the sidewalk and parking lots.

I put nearly 1,000 miles on the car on that excursion; I could easily have spent several more days in the area. I love the whole of the Ohio River Valley. The French called the Ohio "La Belle Riviere." And while that's not a particularly creative name, it's certainly apt. (Ditto for the word "Ohio." It is supposedly from an Iroquois word that means “great river." :) )
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby BrokenLyre » Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:14 pm

Not only is the Ohio River beautiful - but also immensely functional and fruitful. It is the heart of the "bread basket of the world."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Return to Miscellaneous