Shelley Documentary

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Shelley Documentary

Postby Saturn » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:44 pm

Don't know if anyone will be interested in this, but I uploaded this old short BBC documentary about Shelley to youtube:

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/user/maddalo#p/a/u/2/jTTmoxtyN2Q

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/user/maddalo#p/a/u/0/eB9VTXMXfag

Part 3

http://www.youtube.com/user/maddalo#p/a/u/1/rvHXmF6ZI0k

I have some Byron documentaries too if anyone's interested. No Keats, sadly, before you ask Raphael :wink: :mrgreen: .
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Re: Shelley Documentary

Postby Cybele » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:11 pm

Yay! Thanks, Saturn. I'll look these up tonight.
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:20 pm

No problem Cybele, hope you like it. Apologies for the poor quality, this was rescued from an old VHS [yes, remember those?] and through many torturous means I managed to get them onto computer in some state. I've now worked out how to cut and upload videos better so my next one will be much improved in quality I hope.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:35 pm

In fact I may redo those ones now I know what to do. Arrrgghh the complications and confusions of computers.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:02 pm

Don't know if anyone will be interested in this, but I uploaded this old short BBC documentary about Shelley to youtube

Indeed I am Saturn! Thank you very much- I shall watch it tommorrow when having my supper!

No Keats, sadly, before you ask Raphael :wink: :mrgreen:

Ah you know me well Saturn- i have looked on you tube already for a Junkets documentary and there isn't one.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Saturn » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:37 pm

I've looked myself, and couldn't find anything on Shelley either so thought I'd share this little documentary.

I think if they had ever wanted to make a film about Shelley, the actors in this documentary would have been perfectly cast for the roles, especially Shelley And Mary.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Fri Jul 09, 2010 11:45 pm

A film about Mr Shelley is begging to be made.....it's extraordinary one has never been made isn't it?

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Saturn » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:03 am

Well we said that about Keats on here years and years ago, and lo and behold...

There have been films about Shelley, or in which Shelley features, there's Ken Russel's Gothic, which surrounds the writing of Frankenstein at Lake Geneva with the obligatory sex and horror and bizarre imagery you'd expect from him, with the late Natasha Richardson as Mary, Julian Sands [remember him] as Shelley and also a young-ish Gabriel Byrne as Byron.

Also there's Roger Corman's interesting sci-fi take on the tale Frankenstein Unbound with Michael Hutchence [yes THAT one] as Shelley.

But I'm still waiting and hoping that some movie producer picks up Richard Holmes Shelley: The Pursuit and decides to make a proper film about his whole life because, even more than Byron, and just as much as Keats his life was a true tale of triumph and personal tragedy, and great literary achievement and personal pain.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:14 am

Well we said that about Keats on here years and years ago, and lo and behold...

It was so strange for me because at the time the film was due out I was researching our poet for my gallery work ( the Isabella painting) and as you know suddenly realised what I had been missing all my life...and wished there had been a film about him, joined this forum and found out Bright Star was coming out! :D Talk about synchronicity!

There have been films about Shelley, or in which Shelley features, there's Ken Russel's Gothic, which surrounds the writing of Frankenstein at Lake Geneva with the obligatory sex and horror and bizarre imagery you'd expect from him, with the late Natasha Richardson as Mary, Julian Sands [remember him] as Shelley and also a young-ish Gabriel Byrne as Byron.

I do remember Julian Sands- but he is pale and blonde cannot imagine him as Shelley at all. I've never seen Gothic.

Also there's Roger Corman's interesting sci-fi take on the tale Frankenstein Unbound with Michael Hutchence [yes THAT one] as Shelley.

Michael Hutchence as Shelley... :shock:

But I'm still waiting and hoping that some movie producer picks up Richard Holmes Shelley: The Pursuit and decides to make a proper film about his whole life because, even more than Byron, and just as much as Keats his life was a true tale of triumph and personal tragedy, and great literary achievement and personal pain.

Is that a biography you refer to? So there hasn't been a biographical film on Shelley, but the gothic ones in which he is featured?

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Saturn » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:26 am

That is THE Shelley biography, of which, even if you don't really like Shelley I would press into your hand to read as magnificent example of the biographic art, a masterpiece of a book I can't recommend highly enough.

There haven't been any other films, certainly that I know of of Shelley's life, but then so many great writer's lives have never been attempted on screen, and those that are, very few actually do justice to their subject.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:30 am

Saturn wrote:That is THE Shelley biography, of which, even you don't really like Shelley I would press into your hand to read as magnificent example of the biographic art, a masterpiece of a book I can't recommend highly enough.

There haven't been any other films, certainly that I know of of Shelley's life, but then so many great writer's lives have never been attempted on screen, and those that are, very few actually do justice to their subject.

I'll have to look it up in the library catalogue. I find Mr Shelley interesting- he was unusual for his time and I like his care for animals, which I share. He was certainly a nicer person than Byron. But of course John was the nicest of them all. :D
And by far the best poet.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Raphael » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:54 pm

I've watched it whilst eating my lentils. It was very good- wow the young man looked like Mr Shelley and was a good actor- if I was a film maker I'd be looking to make a film with him as the poet! I wonder who he is?
p.s the presenter mentioned twice "the holiness of the heart's affections" but not dear John Keats!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Cybele » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:41 pm

Ah, I remember "Gothic" well. It was an oddish but mildly entertaining movie.
I enjoyed it because I'd often fantasized about being a fly on the wall at the Villa Diodati.
Of course, the movie took liberties with facts, but it was a movie., and real life often doesn't have a plot.

It is available on DVD (at least in the US). It was far from the best movie I'd ever seen, but I'd be willing to watch it again.
Last edited by Cybele on Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:06 pm

I wouldn't say it just took liberties with facts, it was completely over the top, like a drug-fuelled nightmarish acid trip from hell. Of course it's easy to be sensational when not just one, but two of the greatest horror stories of modern times were pretty much created in one night. Polidori's The Vampyre which was one of the antecedents of Stoker's Dracula [or at least began the process of creating the Vampire mythos in English literature], and Mary Shelley's Frankenstein have been a staple of horror ever since; and people seem to be even more obsessed with vampires today than ever :roll:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:32 pm

Saturn wrote:I wouldn't say it just took liberties with facts, it was completely over the top, like a drug-fuelled nightmarish acid trip from hell. Of course it's easy to be sensational when not just one, but two of the greatest horror stories of modern times were pretty much created in one night. Polidori's The Vampyre which was one of the antecedents of Stoker's Dracula [or at least began the process of creating the Vampire mythos in English literature], and Mary Shelley's Frankenstein have been a staple of horror ever since; and people seem to be even more obsessed with vampires today than ever :roll:

Did the film show the Shelleys tripping?! :shock:
Yeah...the vampire obsession seems to have got bigger and bigger since Buffy!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Next

Return to Miscellaneous