Shelley Documentary

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Re: Shelley Documentary

Postby Saturn » Sat Jul 10, 2010 9:44 pm

Not actually tripping lol, but watching it is like watching an acid trip I suppose, it has a hallucinatory quality; nothing ever really feels like it seems, which is a hallmark of Ken Russel's work.

It's by no means a great film or historically accurate but definitely worth seeing if you can get a hold of it, maybe search youtube - there's bound to be some clips on there somewhere.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:01 pm

Doesn't sound like my sort of film Saturn. But back to the Shelley documentary. I liked the way it was done- commentary and then drama clips- that worked well- even though a person is interersting to talk about it can get boring watching someone just talk about them. I saw it was an OU production- it must have been made for those studying the Romantic poets. I wonder if they made one on our man?
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Cybele » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:24 am

Thanks for posting the Shelley documentary, Saturn.
I liked the comments about Shelley's "justification" for abandoning Harriet. It gave me a different perspective. I had felt that Shelley frequently did what his impulses told him to do, and then came up with a rationalization later. (Actually, I still feel that way. I've always felt sorry for poor Harriet.)

Raphael, there was a dramatization of Leigh Hunt's friendship with our guy on VHS tape, told from Hunt's point of view. (I think it was meant for use in secondary schools.) When I found it at the public library I was overjoyed. My joy soon turned to disappointment because it was so darn awful! :roll:
(I wish I could remember its title because it's probably already on YouTube.)
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:04 pm

Thanks for posting the Shelley documentary, Saturn.
I liked the comments about Shelley's "justification" for abandoning Harriet. It gave me a different perspective. I had felt that Shelley frequently did what his impulses told him to do, and then came up with a rationalization later. (Actually, I still feel that way. I've always felt sorry for poor Harriet.)

Yes, I feel sorry for Harriet too- but I can see his side too- what is the point of staying in a loveless marriage? But people couldn't get a divorce so easily then - I don't know what they could have done- but he should have talked with her instead of running off with Mary.

Raphael, there was a dramatization of Leigh Hunt's friendship with our guy on VHS tape, told from Hunt's point of view. (I think it was meant for use in secondary schools.) When I found it at the public library I was overjoyed. My joy soon turned to disappointment because it was so darn awful! :roll:
(I wish I could remember its title because it's probably already on YouTube.)

It's not on you tube that I have seen. Do they show Junkets? If so who plays him and does he look like him? Is it a British production? What makes it so awful?

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Saturn » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:27 pm

Raphael wrote:
Yes, I feel sorry for Harriet too- but I can see his side too- what is the point of staying in a loveless marriage? But people couldn't get a divorce so easily then - I don't know what they could have done- but he should have talked with her instead of running off with Mary.

Yeah that was a pretty cowardly thing to do; his treatment of Harriet was pretty despicable; the poor girl didn't deserve to be just left like that, loveless marriage or not. Shelley of course tried to justify it later but it was a really horrible thing to do, in that age, or any age.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:37 pm

Yeah that was a pretty cowardly thing to do; his treatment of Harriet was pretty despicable; the poor girl didn't deserve to be just left like that, loveless marriage or not. Shelley of course tried to justify it later but it was a really horrible thing to do, in that age, or any age.

Yes, I think so too- it is all very well talking about equality, love and improving society- but talk is cheap- what he did was kind of hypocritical. Our John wouldn't have done such a thing. :wink: (maybe that is why he didn't warm to Shelley when he met him).

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Saturn » Mon Jul 12, 2010 3:52 pm

I think it was more to do with Shelley's outspoken Atheism and very radical political beliefs, which Keats didn't share.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:32 pm

Saturn wrote:I think it was more to do with Shelley's outspoken Atheism and very radical political beliefs, which Keats didn't share.

Well John didn't believe in God either so that was something they had in common.But the radical politics no.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Saturn » Mon Jul 12, 2010 5:36 pm

Well I think you might have an argument on your hands there Raphael, I wouldn't call Keats an avowed Atheist as Shelley was, he certainly didn't like the established church but if anything he was [though I'm sure he wouldn't have described himself as such] an agnostic, or perhaps just not decided on the issue, but nothing I've read makes me think he was an Atheist in Shelley's mould. Keats was politically liberal yes, but not a revolutionary sympathiser, or enthusiast as Shelley was.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Mon Jul 12, 2010 6:24 pm

Saturn wrote:Well I think you might have an argument on your hands there Raphael, I wouldn't call Keats an avowed Atheist as Shelley was, he certainly didn't like the established church but if anything he was [though I'm sure he wouldn't have described himself as such] an agnostic, or perhaps just not decided on the issue, but nothing I've read makes me think he was an Atheist in Shelley's mould. Keats was politically liberal yes, but not a revolutionary sympathiser, or enthusiast as Shelley was.

I know what you mean- not an athiest in the Shelley mould- I meant John wasn't a believer in God (the way the church decreed it) but was someome who was certainly spiritual and very much interested in the spirit and spirituality- I suppose that is not an athiest in the broader sense. I get the impression Shelley wasn't a spiritual person the way John was.
I wonder what Shelley would make of our times- Utopia yet Mr Shelley? Science and politics saving us then? :lol:

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Saturn » Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:16 pm

Well it's pointless to speculate about such things, someone from that time couldn't possibly comprehend the modern world, much as none of us would be able to understand the world of their time, no matter how much we've read or think we understand, or believe we're somehow superior to them, we'd struggle to live in that time, as they would in ours. A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court syndrome if you will; we've romanticised that era so much, that the squalid and horrific reality of it would be difficult for us to accept.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:00 pm

Saturn wrote:Well it's pointless to speculate about such things, someone from that time couldn't possibly comprehend the modern world, much as none of us would be able to understand the world of their time, no matter how much we've read or think we understand, or believe we're somehow superior to them, we'd struggle to live in that time, as they would in ours. A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court syndrome if you will; we've romanticised that era so much, that the squalid and horrific reality of it would be difficult for us to accept.

There is plenty of squalor and horror in the c.21st Saturn.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Saturn » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:13 pm

Of course, but that doesn't mean it was better back in ye olden days.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:29 pm

Saturn wrote:Of course, but that doesn't mean it was better back in ye olden days.

There are some things that were better- no nuclear weapons, mass pollution of the planet, rainforest devastation....

And food that wasn't loaded with preservatives, additives and toxic pesticides- the c.20/21st century "food" has resulted in giving me chronic eczema- I have to pay extra for food that is free of these as it has ruined my skin.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Cath » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:39 pm

Saturn wrote:Shelley: The Pursuit - That is THE Shelley biography, of which, even if you don't really like Shelley I would press into your hand to read as magnificent example of the biographic art, a masterpiece of a book I can't recommend highly enough.

Astonishing that Richard Holmes was only 29 when it was first published :shock: .
"Why should we be owls, when we can be Eagles?" (Keats to Reynolds, 3 February 1818)
Cath
Calidore

Previous

Return to Miscellaneous