Currently Listening To . . .

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Currently Listening To . . .

Postby Malia » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:01 am

What music are you listening to right now? What makes it special? Share your musings on music here.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Re: Currently Listening To . . .

Postby Malia » Thu Aug 19, 2010 4:19 am

Not sure if we already had a thread dedicated to musical stuff, so I thought I'd create one :) I've seen Raphael's interest in Chopin on the boards lately. I've got a soft spot in my heart for him, too, and spent a lot of this morning listening to his "station" on Pandora. His music really helps put some *emotion* into the act of updating a spreadsheet! :lol:

The music I've been listening to most these days is by an artist who is straight out of my childhood. Listening to him sends me right back to afternoons lying on the living room rug with my ear pressed to one of the speakers of the old record player my Aunt Carol gave us when I was 7 years old. That artist is Jose Feliciano. His music is like mac and cheese to me--so comforting and comfortable. He's got a great blend of folk, soul, latin and rock sounds in a package all his own. And he's a total virtuoso on the guitar. It has a voice of its own. Along with the record player, my Aunt Carol gave us a huge stack of her old records and among them were 4 of Jose Feliciano's from the late '60's. I can't count the number of peaceful happy hours I spent listening to those records. I'm feeling a bit nostalgic because my aunt recently died and we will be having a family memorial at her house on Saturday. As part of the service, we're going to play Jose Feliciano's version of the Beatles' In My Life.

If you've never heard his music--or have never heard anything besides Feliz Navidad--please check out these youtube videos to get a good sense of his music. These are all older songs. . .done between 1968 and 1972. The album that "She's a Woman" is on is one of the very albums my Aunt gave us. He does great covers of Beatles songs.

She's a Woman:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFr1GRZTDfc

Ain't No Sunshine:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-lUBlbJ ... re=related

Here There and Everywhere (Instrumental):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDNBf7IVQDA
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Thu Aug 19, 2010 12:51 pm

Chopin.....Chopin and more Chopin! Etudes, Polanaises, Nocturnes, Concertos....always Chopin!!!!

Not sure if we already had a thread dedicated to musical stuff, so I thought I'd create one I've seen Raphael's interest in Chopin on the boards lately. I've got a soft spot in my heart for him, too, and spent a lot of this morning listening to his "station" on Pandora. His music really helps put some *emotion* into the act of updating a spreadsheet!

You knew what my answer was going to be didn't you? :lol: Yes, Frederic would make spreadsheets mnore bearable I'm sure! He has a station all to himself in the US?! Good idea for a thread Malia! :D Well, I think I said already why I love the music of Frederic Chopin- just the greatest pianist and composer ever...

I'll check out your vid links next time I go to the library for you tube ( the dongle too slow to load it up).
I have a fondness for record players- the crackle they make is just so homely and charming. I know CDs and all this ipod stuff make sound perfect but they do lack charm. Noone is going look back with a smile at i- pods and all the electronics 50- 100 years from now and describe them as charming. The man in the local antiques shop here has a wind up gramaphone in his shop! It would be coming home with me if I had a job!
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Malia » Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:29 pm

Raphael, Pandora is a kind of "radio station" on the internet where you can create your own channels based on specific artists or songs. Then, Pandora will play music by that artist and music by other artists that have something in common with your chosen artist. For example, on the Chopin channel, his music is played along side other artists such as Mendelssohn and Lizt and Beethoven. The Chopin channel will tend to focus on classical piano pieces--and sometimes will choose artists who have the same emotional "feel" as Chopin, but who might be from a period well before his time, such as Scarlatti (I think he's from the late 17th-early 18th century). It's an interesting way to learn about and listen to artists you might not have considered before. Pandora has a large collection of music from all kinds of genres--not just classical.

Here's their address: http://www.pandora.com

You're so right about record albums. They have a soft sound to them that is warm and inviting--even the crackles add to the pleasure of listening to a record. Albums are becoming popular again in the US. My brother has a record player and goes to second-hand music shops to collect some of his favorite older artists. I still have my Jose Feliciano albums in the closet . . . no record player, though! It is nice to have the technology to download and play some of my favorite "record player" artists (like Jose) without having to lug a record player around ;) But I do love that warm, crackly sound. . .
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:11 pm

Thanks for the info on Pandora- I doubt the dongle will be fast enough to load it up but I'll try in a bit...
But no worries if not as Classic FM here is brilliant! They play Chopin a lot! :D

You're so right about record albums. They have a soft sound to them that is warm and inviting--even the crackles add to the pleasure of listening to a record. Albums are becoming popular again in the US. My brother has a record player and goes to second-hand music shops to collect some of his favorite older artists. I still have my Jose Feliciano albums in the closet . . . no record player, though! It is nice to have the technology to download and play some of my favorite "record player" artists (like Jose) without having to lug a record player around ;) But I do love that warm, crackly sound. . .

I too have some LPs, but no record player. My friend has one to sell me when I have the money to give him.I've had record players in the past. I once had a 1950s radiogram! I'm glad I'm not the only one who liked the crackles! Most people today would see crackles as a fault, but I don't. I've got 2 original George Harrison LPs from the early 1970's.They are in perfect condition and one of them even has a poster of George in perfect condition! It's folded up in the sleeve.I also have a 78! It's a 1950's female singer.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Raphael » Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:15 pm

I just clicked on the link- Pandora is only available to people in the USA.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Pjerrot » Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:45 am

Currently... the one-man band Ramona Falls. I can't quite explain why I love the music so much -- probably the quirky, symbolic, and often enigmatic lyrics and the quasi-symphonic sound from the instrumentation.
Ah! I will taste that dew, for me ’tis meet,/And when the moon her pallid face discloses,/I’ll gather some by spells, and incantation.
Pjerrot

Postby Raphael » Sun Aug 22, 2010 10:12 pm

Never heard of him Pjerrot, will have to check him out.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Return to Miscellaneous