I want to share my good news with you!

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

I want to share my good news with you!

Postby Raphael » Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:49 am

Dear Keatsian friends- I think you have all noticed now my love of music and that I wanted a piano for years and years...well tonight I got a piano-FREE!! It was on freecycle ( a local online ad forum where people give away items they no longer want). It is old- probably 1940s and beautiful! It needs some work on 5 keys that don't make a note ( but its hammers move)- it sounds lovely and needs a good polish, but it is charming, old and mine!
The man across the hall from me (I live in an 1800s house) very kindly took me up in his van ( he does removals for a living) to collect it. The only thing is, we didn't know how heavy it was going to be so it is sitting in the hall downstairs waiting for me to find 4 strong men to take it up to my studio flat- I am on the second floor. I hope I will find such men!
There is an empty studio flat on the ground floor, which would be of course much easier to get Piano into- it has wheels, but this room isn't as nice as mine and smaller. I'm hoping I won't have to move down there ( that's even if the landlord would let me move down there- the flat has been empty for about 2 months though- the van guy lived there then moved up to a bigger one on my floor). I like being upstairs- the birds and and squirrels come to my window and it's quieter upstairs...oh what should I do...?
I'm of course over the moon and so grateful to have a free piano, especially as I'm unemployed and never thought I would have a piano for years...I don't have much money to pay men to take it upstairs...
I'm trying to have faith that fate brought me the piano and fate will bring me the men to take it up to my flat.
I all of a sudden last night had the idea to look on freecycle- never been on it before...it was odd- I didn't expect pianos to be given away!
I have had a little play on Piano and it is so different to the electronic keyboard- its unreal! The sound is so much better...

Here is a photo of my piano the people sent me:

It looks even more beautiful than in its photo when you are stood in front of it. I will take another photo of it when it is in my home, all polished and with portraits of Frederic Chopin and John Keats sitting on top of it!

P.S.
I have just been down to see Piano again and the guy below me, who is older and probably much more sensible than me said that the ceiling might not take the weight and to contact the landlord and ask him and see if it would and if not take the downstairs flat.
I'm warming to the idea of the ground floor studio- it does have a wooden floor and is painted recently, which mine isn't and mine has a thread bare carpet- not good for dust and eczema...). Not a separate kitchen like mine (mine is a walk in) but is has more work surfaces and is up to date and new cupboards etc...I suppose I could get a wicker screen eventually to hide the open kitchen area. When I finally get a job and my finances improve I would move to a bigger ground floor flat.I spoke to a nice guy who is in the piano business ( restores, sells, knows people who move them etc) this morning and he could help me care for Piano and get it fixed and moved to a new place in the future. Heck, I had better learn to play good now! :lol:

I think Piano has changed my life!
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Re: I want to share my good news with you!

Postby Raphael » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:33 am

I'm sorry about the small photo- but only a thumbnail would work- every other size was so big it filled the screen but only half. I think you could zoom in to it to see it bigger though.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby marwood » Sat Aug 28, 2010 11:26 am

That looks a fab piano! Sounds like it comes with a few problems as well as joy!
Good luck with trying to find your burly knights.
Have you seen the film the piano? I do like the theme music from that, I know
it's not quite Chopin!
Take care.
Chin Chin.
Marwood.
That I might drink, and leave the world unseen.
marwood
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Raphael » Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:19 pm

That looks a fab piano! Sounds like it comes with a few problems as well as joy!

I have just cleaned it earlier- it was very dusty and its keys were dirty. Poor Piano- it has come with a few problems- it had been with its previous owners awhile and really needed a home where it would be loved. I love it very much. But the problem is that the downstairs flat has just been taken :( and as I'm unemployed I haven't the money to move elsewhere (obviously moving downstairs in the same place would have cost me nothing...). I was probably mad to look for a piano being unemployed and no money to move....but I couldn't resist it Marwood. Despite the problems I have now- it is sitting in the hall downstairs- it felt like fate. I suppose I have to have faith that I will find a job soon and be able to move. I can put my name down on the housing association list- but the problem is no money to move (cost of the van, decorating etc) Getting items ( eg bed) not so hard as the van man in the house gets given stuff for free and there is freecycle! At least the land lord didn't come up and tell me off for having Piano in the hall when he showed the new tenant the flat I wanted! Though I suppose he will in the coming weeks.

Good luck with trying to find your burly knights.

Well, I think that will come to nothing and the man below me says Piano is probably too heavy for the ceiling!

Have you seen the film the piano? I do like the theme music from that, I know it's not quite Chopin!

No, not yet, would like to though- heard some of the music from it- quite nice.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Cybele » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:33 pm

Good luck with the piano! Moving a one is such a job! I hope you can work something out.
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:50 pm

Cybele wrote:Good luck with the piano! Moving a one is such a job! I hope you can work something out.

It will be ok as the van guy has just told me he would charge me just £30 for moving including Piano and there is the likelihood of some work coming my way ( a contact phoned me after I posted to Marwood) in the next couple of months...fingers crossed...
Piano wants a new home and it will get one...
It doesn't like the dark hall...

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Pjerrot » Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:11 pm

Congrats on the find! :D Intuition and pure instinct can be such wonderful things. I'm sure the instrument will be enjoyed to the fullest -- and it looks quite wonderful.

I'm sure the keys that don't produce sound can be easily fixed. Perhaps a wire problem? On my piano, the lowest two keys have the hammers completely broken.
Ah! I will taste that dew, for me ’tis meet,/And when the moon her pallid face discloses,/I’ll gather some by spells, and incantation.
Pjerrot

Postby Raphael » Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:51 pm

Congrats on the find! :D Intuition and pure instinct can be such wonderful things.

Oh Pjerrot, I cannot tell you how elated I am to have Piano. As you know, I thought it would be many years before I would have a piano of my own and along came Piano! I like to give it a capital P :wink: (To be honest Pjerrot I was going crazy for the need for a piano!!! )
I was dreamily looking at antique pianos on an antique piano website ( with Mendlessohn playing..) and dreaming of winning the lottery to buy a piano when I suddenly found myself typing in freecycle in the search engine...the first person I contacted didn't reply. I looked again Sat morning and this piano was on offer underneath. I hadn't taken notice before because it was put on in July so I thought it might be homed. I emailed the lady anyway and got an immediate reply saying the piano was mine as soon as I could collect it. I was blown away! The funny thing was that night- Friday I kept hearing a voice in my head saying "The piano is yours" I'm not joking! I could hardly sleep and when I did I was playing a piano in my dreams.

I'm sure the instrument will be enjoyed to the fullest -- and it looks quite wonderful.

It is a bit out of tune but you know what....but it sounds so much better than the keyboard! (Sorry electronic keyboard).I keep finding myself playing the same little tune on Piano using right and left hand. I don't know if I am inventing it or I have heard it somewhere. I'll have to write down the notes for you- see if you recognise it. I find Piano so much easier to play then the keyboard- fingers moving on the keys, dexterity, speed, everything. Though, I haven't played reading sheet music yet....that might be harder as the keyboard has the letters written on the keys for the notes and I write them on the music sheets!
Did you manage to see a full size view of Piano?

I'm sure the keys that don't produce sound can be easily fixed. Perhaps a wire problem? On my piano, the lowest two keys have the hammers completely broken.

I don't know what the problem is yet...it's dark in the hall so cannot see inside Piano well but can see its hammers moving when I lift its lid up.
Pjerrot may I ask for your advice please? Piano is a bit dusty inside where its hammers are and at the back ( the material is ripped too- will get that mended when I can). What is the best way to clean it? Or should I leave that to a professional when I have the money to pay them?
My keyboard teacher will be amazed I got a free piano when I see him in the class in 2 weeks. He will laugh when I tell him me, a beginner, has chosen as their first piece to learn a polanise by Chopin! :lol: (A section of it of course). I don't do things by halves do I!
Er on second thoughts better not tell him that- he might ask me to play it in class... :oops:
I bumped into a friend I hadn't seen in ages on Friday afternoon and told her about going on freecycle and going to see Piano that night- she was really excited and wants to come and see it. Then I told her I love Chopin and she said he is her fave too- we were practically dancing!

PS I'm listening to Sigur Ros at the moment- hardly listen to pop lately- it's a shock to the system- all those drums and electric guitars when one has been listening to only classical music for weeks!
I wonder a lot what the c.19th composers would think of electric guitars!
PS Try and sing along to Gong- you won't be able to for long- those notes are high- Jonsi must have quite a vocal range!!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Pjerrot » Sun Aug 29, 2010 3:52 pm

Pjerrot may I ask for your advice please? Piano is a bit dusty inside where its hammers are and at the back ( the material is ripped too- will get that mended when I can). What is the best way to clean it? Or should I leave that to a professional when I have the money to pay them?

Raphael, I am not sure on the best way to clean the inside. Sorry I can not be of more help. I don't want to go giving advice that is incorrect or damaging.
Ah! I will taste that dew, for me ’tis meet,/And when the moon her pallid face discloses,/I’ll gather some by spells, and incantation.
Pjerrot

Postby Raphael » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:15 pm

That's perfectly fine Pjerrot- I just thought I would ask you in case you had yours cleaned inside. I will ask on the UK piano website I joined. Well they told me an approximate age of Piano... and, as I thought it is older than the 1940's :

Van Gruisen & Son were around from at least the 1880s, and were Ltd. by 1928, but I can't give you an accurate date. It is difficult to see the photo, but it looks like something from before the 1914 war.

I knew it was quite old! :D

I managed to resize the photo in imaging and send another to photobucket:

I've posted this photo to the piano site as well.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby BrokenLyre » Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:55 pm

Wow - on the piano. That's great Raphael. Hope all works out for you with having it actually in your apartment.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Raphael » Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:08 am

I'm going to move to a ground floor place Broken Lyre- was planning to move in the next year anyway. I have joined a piano site and took photos- someone asked me to take photos inside piano to look at the strings and workings. Two shanks had broken and fallen inside the pedal section at the front. They can be replaced if I find someone to make new ones. I know of a place not far from me and have numbers to ring in my area. Though the man on the piano site thinks Piano might be a lost cause... :(
He is a bit worst case scenario and was suggesting I dump Piano. I was crying at the thought of it- no way will I dump Piano- I love it. The suggestion almost broke my heart.

Piano's soundboard looks fine- no cracks, splits etc- the same goes for Piano's body. The strings are not broken. My intuition tells me Piano can be fixed-it might take a bit of money and time, but that is fine with me.I'll do that in the near future- call up restorers to come out.
I've been playing Piano and it sounds so nice compared to the electronic keyboard- the difference in the keys is amazing- Piano's keys are pliable but the keyboard's are stiff and I'm so clumsy on that, but didn't feel clumsy on Piano. I felt natural.

PS Don't know what is up with photobucket these days- keeps messing up my picture links!

Here it is in my hall.

P.S- Pjerrot you posted this to me on the Chopin thread just 3 weeks ago:

I'm not sure about you but fate seems to give me little hints and signs of things all the time. I find that much of what we wish for earnestly and honestly does come around for us at some point.

It did didn't it!!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Cybele » Tue Aug 31, 2010 1:22 am

Well that's a beauty, Raphael.
Is that inlay? What are those metal bracket-like things on either side?
These old uprights have so much more going for them than those little, puny spinets that were so popular when I was a kid. Piano is lucky to have found you.
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Ennis » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:31 pm

Congratulations, Raphael, on acquiring a life dream. We aren't usually that fortunate to be so lucky. I'm very happy for you!
(Now, if I could just "swing" that 35,000$ first run-first edition Taylor and Hessey publication of Keats's Lamia, et. al., I, too, would ecstatic!!)
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Tue Aug 31, 2010 11:31 pm

Well that's a beauty, Raphael.

Thank you- I think so too. If you saw Piano in the wood ( :wink: ) you feel his (I think of it as a he) he has presence. And a woody old scent too!

Is that inlay?
Yes- it is a flower design.

What are those metal bracket-like things on either side?

They are remains of candle sconces- someone must have took them off. :( I want to get him new ones one day.I will put candles in them then- unlit of course.

These old uprights have so much more going for them than those little, puny spinets that were so popular when I was a kid.

Spinets are from the c.18th! don't you mean those little electronic keyboards?

Piano is lucky to have found you.

I feel lucky he has come to me- but I might have saved him from being discarded, that's true- I'm prepared to spend money on him (when I have it) and get him fixed up. Some of his repairs are not going to be too difficult- eg a G string, others will take more work due to his age and parts having to be made.
I have sent the piano man more photos today so he has more idea on repairs to advise me on. We are keeping our fingers crossed that Piano's wrest plank is fine.

Congratulations, Raphael, on acquiring a life dream. We aren't usually that fortunate to be so lucky. I'm very happy for you!
(Now, if I could just "swing" that 35,000$ first run-first edition Taylor and Hessey publication of Keats's Lamia, et. al., I, too, would ecstatic!!)

I'd be ecstatic at that too! You mean there is an edition out there? Imagine if he had signed one...imagine having a lock of his hair...ok I'd better stop ..

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Next

Return to Miscellaneous