Hallo everybody!

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Hallo everybody!

Postby Cri » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:31 pm

Hi!
I'm a new member of this forum...I just wanted to say hallo; my name is Cristina and I'm from Italy...of course I'm a big admirer of John Keats and his poetry! Since I've studied English Literature at University I've developped a sincere and intense admiration towards the romantic poets of the second generation, especially Mr.Keats!!! I've tried to read as most as possible of his works and biographies about him and I've visited the locations of his life ( and death... :( )...I hope to be able to know some of you to share opinions and thoughts on our beloved poet! I live in Tuscany and i'm almost 31. I beg pardon for my lame English! Cheers and kisses, Cri :D
...ti verrò a cercare nelle tue stanze vuote....aspettiamo un altro viaggio, un destino, un'eternità; e dimmi come posso fare per raggiungerti adesso...
Cri

Postby Saturn » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:23 am

Accolga favorevolmente il mio amico italiano.

Parlo un pocco d'italiano.

You are very welcome Cristina - I hope you like the site.

We all look forward to your contributions.

Your English is fine don't worry :D
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Richard » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:05 am

Hello Cri, I wonder how Keats sounds in Italian?
'Lame English' it runs fluidly to me, I will now use all the Italian I know.
Ciao :D
richard
Richard

Postby Cri » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:49 pm

Thanks to Saturn and Richard for your welcome!
I'm glad you say my "lame" English it's not bad!anyway it's surely bad to express something that goes beyond simple phrases and conversation. I wonder how I could be able to write about poetry and similar with my English...anyway, I'll try!
This site is very nice and I'm nicely surprised to find so many young people so much in Keats; here in Italy our poet it's not so known, Byron and Shelley are more popular; besides I live not far from Pisa, Viareggio and Lerici, so the names of the two are commonly known. But Keats' poetry in Italian is...well, not so bad! "Che cosa ti affligge, cavaliere in arme, che pallido vai vagando e solitario?" This is an example from La Belle Dame Sans Merci... :D
I hope to be able to write more next time, for now, bye!
...ti verrò a cercare nelle tue stanze vuote....aspettiamo un altro viaggio, un destino, un'eternità; e dimmi come posso fare per raggiungerti adesso...
Cri

Postby dks » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:09 pm

Cri wrote:"Che cosa ti affligge, cavaliere in arme, che pallido vai vagando e solitario?"

:shock: May I say...that is breathless and beautiful in Italian...as I sit here at my teacher's desk trying to enunciate this in a droll, perverse American accent whilst clutching my heart...my students think I'm mental...they are unabashedly correct... :lol:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:47 pm

I had a bit of help from Babelfish :wink:

Benvenuto was a bit simplistic and formal.

Damn I wish I could speak fluent Italian - it is without doubt the most beautiful and pleasant sounding language on the planet.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

;)

Postby edwardkeenaghan » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:54 pm

Bonjourno jemepelio cosa ti mama mia,iza a spagetti

Thats my effort at italian today. :D :D :D

Welcome cri :lol:
edwardkeenaghan
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Malia » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:05 am

Welcome to the forum, Cri :)
The only Italian I know are the names of dishes of food, and I won't try to dazzle anyone with *that* information ;) :lol:
It's great to have you here--being in Italy, you must have visited the Keats-Shelley memorial house in Rome, right?

I hope to go to Italy within the next two years as part of my graduate program. One of our classes in in Florence. :)
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby dks » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:33 am

...and Miss Malia, when you do...you'd better invite me... :wink:
"I am certain of nothing but the holiness of the heart's affections and the Truth of Imagination."
dks
Dante

Postby Cri » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:52 pm

Ciao a tutti i miei amici del forum!
that is: hallo to all my friends on the forum!

You are all so kind and warm, even on the computer page!

To Dks: are you a teacher?? I'm studying to become a proper teacher me too! I want to teach History of Art, and I have to complete two years of studying to get the degree...
So you appreciate Keats words in Italian? That's great! I'm happy of it! I'll write here more lines in Italian, if you like!
To Malia: yes, I've been in K-S'memorial house twice...I have had chills down my spine in both the occasion, the rooms were almost empty of people, you could hear the sound of the water in the Bernini fountain ( la Barcaccia! ) outside, it was special....anyway no comparision with the Hampsted house, I don't feel ashamed admitting I've cried once gone out. It has been like going to visit a friend and then, out of the blue, realising that he's dead.
But no more sadness!
To Saturn: your Italian is funny! I mean in the nice way!!! and Edward's too!
Here to you another line in Italian: "Il cuore mi fa male, ed un opaco torpore affligge i miei sensi, come se avessi bevuto fino all'ultima goccia della cicuta, un minuto fa, e fossi sprofondato giù, verso il Lete..." Hope to hear from you soon! Baci baci, Cri :P
Cri

Postby Cri » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:58 pm

Ps: if somebody of you come in Italy, please tell me, I want to meet you! I offer myself as a guide - a Cicerone, as we say here! It would be great to know one another and go around Keats spots!
Ciao ciao a tutti 8)
Cri

Postby dks » Wed Nov 01, 2006 6:36 am

Yes, Cri. I am a teacher. A high school English teacher--pray for me. :lol:

I will get back to Italy as soon as humanly possible and I would be honored to have you as my guide... :wink:
dks
Dante

Postby Saturn » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:40 am

I will return to Italy one day I know it :D
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Cri » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:09 pm

I'm waiting for you all!!!
At the moment autumn here in Tuscany it's quite "keatsian"....my garden is full of fallen leaves of different colours, and there is a general mellow fruitfulness all around! :D
A presto, baci from Cri
Cri

Return to Miscellaneous