I have a job at last!

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

I have a job at last!

Postby Raphael » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:08 pm

Hello fellow Keatsians- more good news to share with you all.I have a job after being unemployed for 2 years! It is activities organiser in a homeless hostel for women. It's part time though, so I will have to get some other work as well to top up the salary and walk the 3-4 miles to work the first month as I cannot afford the bus fare- I will only have 2 week's unemployment money to live on for the first month. They don't do much to help one into work, so they don't!
But our dear poet walked many miles in a day- so I can too! I will think of him when I walk to work...that will spur me on.. :D
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Re: I have a job at last!

Postby Ennis » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:48 pm

Great Mother Goddeess, Raphael, you will walk three to four miles a day to work!! I can't imagine that!! I suppose we Yanks (or in my case, "Rebs" [since I live in the South!]) are softies, anyway.
But, you're right: Keats did walk almost every where he went and for the same reason you will be walking, as well (or at least most of the time; too bad he hadn't have had enough money to ride inside that damn coach on 03rd February '20!!).
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Malia » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:00 pm

Saints be praised, Raphael! I'm so happy to hear of your new job. I know very well what it feels like to be unemployed for an extended period of time and what such a thing can do to one's sense of self worth. I *also* know how exhilarating it can be to finally have employment and to feel especially useful in one's work. Your work sounds both worthwhile and fulfilling. I hope you enjoy it and are able to get that second job you're searching for.
Stay Awake!
--Anthony deMello
Malia
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:28 pm

Good news Raphael, I'm happy for you. I've been unemployed for over two years [besides voluntary work] and things aren't looking good for me:( , but it's good to see you're on the way out of that unemployment trap, someone as enthusiastic and resourceful as you deserves much better. Good luck with the new job and let us know how it goes.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby BrokenLyre » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:01 am

Great news Raphael. Just getting into the door of employment is a tough thing these days. Good to see things opening up for you. You deserve it.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Raphael » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:47 pm

Great Mother Goddess, Raphael, you will walk three to four miles a day to work!! I can't imagine that!! I suppose we Yanks (or in my case, "Rebs" [since I live in the South!]) are softies, anyway.

It is something like that- give or take a mile or two I will have to look in the map book-I have walked more than that in a day.

But, you're right: Keats did walk almost every where he went and for the same reason you will be walking,

Yes- he couldn't afford the coach fares and I can't afford the bus fares! :lol:

too bad he hadn't have had enough money to ride inside that damn coach on 03rd February '20!!).

I know.... :cry:
I will think of him walking home on rainy nights- at least I haven't got Consumption.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Raphael » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:49 pm

Malia wrote:Saints be praised, Raphael! I'm so happy to hear of your new job. I know very well what it feels like to be unemployed for an extended period of time and what such a thing can do to one's sense of self worth. I *also* know how exhilarating it can be to finally have employment and to feel especially useful in one's work. Your work sounds both worthwhile and fulfilling. I hope you enjoy it and are able to get that second job you're searching for.

Thanks Malia. I'll see about doing my holistics as my second job.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Raphael » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:51 pm

Good news Raphael, I'm happy for you. I've been unemployed for over two years [besides voluntary work] and things aren't looking good for me:(

I'm sorry to hear that Saturn- it was the same for me- no piad work for 2 years also- volunteering tho.

but it's good to see you're on the way out of that unemployment trap, someone as enthusiastic and resourceful as you deserves much better.

Thank you- the same sentiment goes to you Saturn- I hope you find something soon.

Good luck with the new job and let us know how it goes.

Thanks- I will!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Raphael » Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:52 pm

BrokenLyre wrote:Great news Raphael. Just getting into the door of employment is a tough thing these days. Good to see things opening up for you. You deserve it.

Thanks Broken Lyre. It's tough these days.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Saturn » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:50 pm

Raphael wrote:
Great Mother Goddess, Raphael, you will walk three to four miles a day to work!! I can't imagine that!! I suppose we Yanks (or in my case, "Rebs" [since I live in the South!]) are softies, anyway.

It is something like that- give or take a mile or two I will have to look in the map book-I have walked more than that in a day.

But, you're right: Keats did walk almost every where he went and for the same reason you will be walking,

When I was at University I used to walk there and back, 5 miles each way just to save on the bus fares and keep fit, and write poems in my head on the way :wink:

Ah to be young and that fit again lol.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Ennis » Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:22 pm

Saturn wrote:
Raphael wrote:

When I was at University I used to walk there and back, 5 miles each way just to save on the bus fares and keep fit, and write poems in my head on the way :wink:

Gosh, Saturn, how Keatsian!! I admire that: the walking and composing ( I wish I could write poetry. . . ) -- that's what I imagine Keats to have done as he walked: that mind of his zooming along all the time ("He is quick with his thoughts."), never missing a thing, taking in everything and thinking about it all, and reworking it into a poem or a philosophy or a detail to be incorporated into a letter. You know, he probably would have walked even if he did have the coach fare.
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Wed Nov 10, 2010 12:51 am

:lol: Maybe our John composed some lines as he walked too...

Whaaaaaaaaat? I'm a good few years older than you- 43 next June- I can still walk 5 miles! If I can you can young man... :lol:

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Saturn » Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:16 pm

I probably could easily, in fact did about 3 or 4 miles on Monday, just lazier these days lol.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:28 pm

Saturn wrote:I probably could easily, in fact did about 3 or 4 miles on Monday, just lazier these days lol.

Saved you the bus fare eh? :wink:

I was just thinking if I wear my boots out walking the local charity shop always has plenty more! :lol:

Oh for dry summery days- can cycle it again.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Return to Miscellaneous