A plea to those in Britain!

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

A plea to those in Britain!

Postby Raphael » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:55 pm

I had this message from some contacts (sorry those in USA cannot sign- it only takes British postcodes...)

The government is getting ready for a huge sell-off of our national forests to private firms. This could mean ancient woodlands are chopped down and destroyed. Walkers and endangered animals, like red squirrels and owls, would have to make way for Center Parcs-style holiday villages, golf courses, and logging companies. [1]

We need to stop these plans. Ancient forests like the Forest of Dean and Sherwood Forest are national treasures - once they’re gone, they are lost forever. A huge petition will force the government to rethink. If we can prove how strongly thousands of us are against this, we can make them back down.

Please click here to add your name to a petition saying “save our forests”:
http://www.38degrees.org.uk/save-our-forests

The government needs to get new laws through Parliament before these plans can go ahead. That means we have time to stop them. If we build a huge petition, we will prove that the public doesn’t want precious woodland to be flogged off. That will make MPs think twice about voting for it.

When we work together, we can stop the government from forcing through these kind of bad plans. They probably think that with all the focus on cuts, no-one will have time to spare to speak up for forests. 38 Degrees members know how to work on more than one issue at once. We’re already standing up for the NHS and the BBC. We’re winning our fight against the massive cow factory farm in Lincolnshire. Now let’s stand up for Britain’s ancient forests together, before it’s too late and they’re gone for good.

Please help build the pressure before it’s too late. Add your name to our “save our forests” petition:
http://www.38degrees.org.uk/save-our-forests

Thanks for being involved,

David, Hannah, Johnny and the 38 Degrees team
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Re: A plea to those in Britain!

Postby Saturn » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:27 pm

Signed, and reposted it on Facebook.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Mon Nov 15, 2010 1:33 am

Thanks very much Saturn- I have sent it to all my contacts too- got to stop them in this dirty trick.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Ennis » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:17 pm

Raphael wrote:Thanks very much Saturn- I have sent it to all my contacts too- got to stop them in this dirty trick.

Good luck in this endeavour to all my British friends. I've seen what happens here in America when the almighty dollar takes precedence over everything (and everyone?) else. We can't even take care of our Civil War battlefields - they are so very important (still) to us Southeners!! Acres and acres of these sacred fields are eaten up yearly by the monster, Capitalism. Again, I wish y'all much success in protecting your forest lands. I wish I could help. . .

Raphael,
I know this is particularly disgusting to you. We know she cries whenever we invade her body . . .
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:33 pm

Ennis wrote:[Raphael,
I know this is particularly disgusting to you. We know she cries whenever we invade her body . . .

Yes, it is.
Respectfully digging Mother Earth for plants/food/medicinal plants is acceptable but to violate her body for capital gain is foul.
There is one American Indian quote that goes something like:

They told me to sell wheat- I said: how can I sell my Mother's hair?

This sentiment is echoed in one of John's letters when he sees wheat and barley (I think it is) in the fields waving in the breeze all golden and he remarks upon that it will soon be cut down, rather sadly.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Return to Miscellaneous