Shelly's In Defence of Poetry

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Shelly's In Defence of Poetry

Postby MonroeDoctrine » Mon May 30, 2011 12:48 am

I haven't posted things in this forum for quite sometime however now that I've matured a bit and have a developed concept of the Universe, I may now speak more intelligently about man and nature.

I just think there should be a discussion about Shelly's essay in Defense of Poetry because I think it is completely relevant to understand the current state of the world and the need to drastically improve classical poetry and music.

I think the first thing I'll just throw on the table is that fact that Shelly puts man's imagination in the context of an entire historical process that is important to understand. He points out that the baby is to an adult, what the primitive man is to the ages. Given that it is the year 2011 I think that our art must become more advanced. Our art should be beyond the mere infant stage.

Anyways the essay is rather long, but that is one thing that I found interesting about the opening.
Peace
MonroeDoctrine
At Parnassus' foot

Re: Shelly's In Defence of Poetry

Postby Saturn » Mon May 30, 2011 7:42 am

MD it has indeed been a long time since you posted.

Shelley's Defence of Poetry is a masterpiece.

Poets are indeed 'The unacknowledged legislators of the world".

I'm afraid you might not get much discussion here, this place is a little bit too quiet these days but nice to see you're still out there.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Return to Miscellaneous