Keatsean t-shirts

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Keatsean t-shirts

Postby james948 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:35 pm

are online at www.teesfortheliterate.com

There's an o for a life of sensations one and a coleridge one too.
Use the code LOVELIT to save five bucks!
james948

Re: Keatsean t-shirts

Postby Cath » Fri Mar 16, 2012 1:14 pm

See also http://shop.cafepress.de/john-keats?

My God, I just noticed they even have a Keats 'Bright Star' iPhone case for sale! Bizarre.

I adore, however, the idea of a "I Love Keats" hoodie :lol: :

"Why should we be owls, when we can be Eagles?" (Keats to Reynolds, 3 February 1818)
Cath
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:02 pm

The thong is just wrong..... :shock:
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Cath » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:58 am

Yes, but the T-shirts printed with "John Keats - One whose name was writ on cotton" are oh so right :lol: .
"Why should we be owls, when we can be Eagles?" (Keats to Reynolds, 3 February 1818)
Cath
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:51 pm

Oh blimey most of this stuff is so naff, even a geek like me wouldn't wear any of these things. :roll:
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Saturn » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:55 pm

And if my girlfriend was wearing a Keats thong, man I love my girlfriend, I love Keats, but talk about a passion-killer :lol:
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Cath » Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:40 pm

I imagine JK would be furious. He wasn't able to "have" Fanny when he was in health due to the Regency code of propriety, but almost two hundred years later ladies can bounce around in thongs and men in their boxer shorts with Keats's name and poetry emblazoned on the front :oops: .
Cath
Calidore

Postby Ennis » Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:25 pm

Cath wrote:See also http://shop.cafepress.de/john-keats?

My God, I just noticed they even have a Keats 'Bright Star' iPhone case for sale! Bizarre.

I adore, however, the idea of a "I Love Keats" hoodie :lol: :

I have this shirt, except it's a long-sleeved tee-shirt. I will admit, I've gotten some stares when I wear it, like "Who in the hell is that Keats dude?" Maybe they think he's my husband!! :D
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:18 am

Cath wrote:I imagine JK would be furious. He wasn't able to "have" Fanny when he was in health due to the Regency code of propriety, but almost two hundred years later ladies can bounce around in thongs and men in their boxer shorts with Keats's name and poetry emblazoned on the front :oops: .

Yes if he could have foreseen this he'd not be best pleased. Yet there was something romantic about propriety and respecting a lady..today many men think they can "have" a woman just cos they have bought her a few drinks or a meal, many are far too forward and are not interested in respecting boundaries. In those days people addressed each other as Mr and Miss until an intimacy was established which must have made it feel special.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Saturn » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:13 am

Let's not get all rose-tinged spectacled about former eras; this was a time when husbands could legally rape their wives, do what they wish with them, beat children black and blue and nought would be said about it. Children lying in the streets of London hooked on gin, underage prostitutes, the list goes on and on.

It may have been in the middle and upper classes everyone was terribly polite and refined, [and that's certainly not everyone] but you only have to read Hardy, Gaskell, or even Dickens to see that the 19th century was by no means a paragon of virtue and good manners.

There was as much, if not more crime, abuse, rudeness and as much bad behaviour as any other time in history. The veneer we see in period dramas and the refinement of the literature should not blind us to the fact that that is what that is, a patina, a veneer.
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby marwood » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:40 am

Very true Saturn. It is lovely to see that respect towards Ladies, but if you were to venture
into Broad street in Birmingham on a Saturday evening I'm afraid the way some of these
young woman act and dress, they don't seem to respect themselves. Really, sometimes
I don't know where to look! :oops: :wink:

I do have a Withnail and I t-shirt, one of my favourite films, after Bright Star naturally!
I demand to have some booze!
Take care.
Marwood.
That I might drink, and leave the world unseen.
marwood
At Parnassus' foot

Postby Raphael » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:03 pm

Let's not get all rose-tinged spectacled about former eras; this was a time when husbands could legally rape their wives, do what they wish with them, beat children black and blue and nought would be said about it. Children lying in the streets of London hooked on gin, underage prostitutes, the list goes on and on.

I'm not- and those sights you describe are still going on now especially in rough areas- I have seen druggie children( I assume they are so for they have glazed eyes) met 18 year old prostitutes, had a friend at university who was beaten so badly by her student partner she was in hospital for months and we hear all the time of child abuse- so the c.21st is just as brutal.In fact in some ways worse as there are more drugs about than ever.

It may have been in the middle and upper classes everyone was terribly polite and refined, [and that's certainly not everyone] but you only have to read Hardy, Gaskell, or even Dickens to see that the 19th century was by no means a paragon of virtue and good manners.

That's what I mean- sort of- social conventions meant that a respectable middle class woman was not seen as a sex toy which is hardly true today.

There was as much, if not more crime, abuse, rudeness and as much bad behaviour as any other time in history. The veneer we see in period dramas and the refinement of the literature should not blind us to the fact that that is what that is, a patina, a veneer.

In the slums yes but not in middle class society as a rule. Put it this way most middle class women would have not had rude propositions made to them in the street by men of their own class, been expected to bed a man when she has hardly been introduced, be asked impertinent questions re her sex life like modern women have to endure. Not even in the 1950s and 1960s did my mother have to put up with the appalling lack of respect that I and other women of my generation have had to put up with from men. My mother was very shocked when I have told her the things they say and do.
Last edited by Raphael on Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Raphael » Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:12 pm

Very true Saturn. It is lovely to see that respect towards Ladies, but if you were to venture
into Broad street in Birmingham on a Saturday evening I'm afraid the way some of these
young woman act and dress, they don't seem to respect themselves. Really, sometimes
I don't know where to look! :oops: :wink:

That is the trouble- women don't need to go round in hijab but a modest neckline and hem line shows you respect yourself. Those youngsters are victims of media manipulation- tells them they have to be "ready to go" for young fellas- nothing more than toys. Annoying thing about it as that some thick blokes cannot or refuse to see that some women do have intelligence and are not walking toys and make improper suggestions to respectable women too. I can see that more women are going to go over to Islamic dress if this decline continues.

I do have a Withnail and I t-shirt, one of my favourite films, after Bright Star naturally!
I demand to have some booze!
Take care.
Marwood.

Oh that film is so funny- the scene with the Afro guy in the bath and when the uncle tries to seduce the student! :lol:

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Return to Miscellaneous