Garrow's Law- brilliant eighteenth century BBC drama

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Garrow's Law- brilliant eighteenth century BBC drama

Postby Raphael » Mon Nov 28, 2011 11:57 pm

Anyone been watching Garrow's Law (BBC 1, Sundays, 9pm)? It is based on a barrister, William Garrow who did much to change the British legal system making it fairer. The acting, topics, clothes, settings are superb. The use of candlelight rather than brilliantly lit sets create an authentic atmosphere. I am hooked on it!
Those in the USA can find the series on you tube. It is set a decade before John Keats was born.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Re: Garrow's Law- brilliant eighteenth century BBC drama

Postby Saturn » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:20 pm

It's the third series now Raphael, you must check out the previous two. Very emotional episode last night. Although If you read a bit more about Garrow and some of the actual cases he wasn't quite the hero that the series makes him out to be: the writers have taken, in some cases some very severe liberties with the truth. As a drama however, it's the kind of thing the BBC does best and sadly not enough of.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Re: Garrow's Law- brilliant eighteenth century BBC drama

Postby Raphael » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:41 am

Saturn wrote:It's the third series now Raphael, you must check out the previous two. Very emotional episode last night. Although If you read a bit more about Garrow and some of the actual cases he wasn't quite the hero that the series makes him out to be: the writers have taken, in some cases some very severe liberties with the truth. As a drama however, it's the kind of thing the BBC does best and sadly not enough of.

Yes it was an emotional episode.
I know- I didn't have TV for 5 years- only got it now cos the land lady (in the house I moved to October last year) has a TV in the lounge. I usually hate TV but can make an exception to historical dramas! I have seen clips of some of series one- will get the DVDS eventually.
I have read about Mr Garrow on wikipedia and there is a website for him. Haven't found much on the actual cases as yet tho-one link I found no longer was live. I read he could be hot tempered but all in all he seemed a good bloke (nobody is perfect!)- supported a repeal of the Corn Law and was for laws against animal cruelty. Before him the poor accused of crimes they hadn't committed (or had committed out of desperate poverty) had no chance of justice- he really was instrumental for bringing in a fairer legal system.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Return to Miscellaneous