Cool Yule

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Cool Yule

Postby marwood » Sun Dec 25, 2011 4:12 pm

Wishing you all a happy and peaceful Yule.
Bright blessings.
love and peace.
Marwood.
xxx
That I might drink, and leave the world unseen.
marwood
At Parnassus' foot

Re: Cool Yule

Postby BrokenLyre » Mon Dec 26, 2011 7:57 am

Indeed, Blessings to you all
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby gstormcrow » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:39 am

Thank you both for your kindness. My warmest echoes to everyone.
I'm in love with Osama's Aunt Sally
gstormcrow

Postby Raphael » Wed Dec 28, 2011 4:38 pm

Hope you all had a good Yule/Xmas...forgive me for being rather morbid but although my Xmas day passed peacefully by Boxing Day a tooth abscess decided to manifest its ugly head and I had to go to the city hospital A &E ( with all the chavs and drunks) to get strong painkillers and antibiotics. The painkillers only took the edge off so I was surfing the web (trying to console myself that if it was 1811 I might be on the way to the grave....) and found garlic recommended. What one has to do is peel and slice a clove and put it on the gum by the sore tooth and amazingly it does kill the pain right down alongside the painkillers! I know its the garlic that makes the difference as the painkillers weren't doing much at all. Raw garlic has powerful antibacterial properties. It is worth having a reeking mouth to get some pain relief. Saw the locum dentists today and he said to keep taking all the meds and I have an appt with my regular dentist on the first Thursday of Jan to see the result of the X-ray and what can be done with that tooth (I'd like to say goodbye to the little blighter...). Of course the thing cannot be removed til the infection clears.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Saturn » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:26 pm

Oh dear hope the infection clears up soon Raphael, what a way to spend Crimbo. We are fortunate indeed that, we must only endure some temporary pain with these type of minor ailments which 200 years ago could have killed someone.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Raphael » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:00 am

Saturn wrote:Oh dear hope the infection clears up soon Raphael, what a way to spend Crimbo. We are fortunate indeed that, we must only endure some temporary pain with these type of minor ailments which 200 years ago could have killed someone.

Thanks Saturn. That's how I'm dealing with it when the garlic and painkillers wear off and the awful pain comes back (til I'm dosed up again)- knowing that 200 years ago I'd have been in la la land on Opium until the infection saw me off. Mind you Opium is a stronger painkiller than paracetomol and codeine....I bet a few poor souls saw themselves off on Opium (accidentally or on purpose) when faced with horrendous pain back then.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby gstormcrow » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:13 pm

Sorry to hear about your tooth, Raphael. I've had an absessed tooth before so I can relate to how painful it can be.

I just wanted to pass along some hopefully helpful info about another painkiller for your tooth pain.

Not sure if you're already aware of it but oil of clove (made from the clove plant) worked really good for me and doesn't have that bad breath side effect, fortunately quite the opposite.

To use the oil, dip the end of a q-tip in the vial of concentrate and then apply it directly to the place where the nerve is exposed. I'll warn you now that there is some initial stinging upon application due to the oil's strength but then it very effectively deadens the pain, at least it did for me. The oil is luckily not expensive and sold over the counter at your local drug store or supermarket.

I hope this info proves useful and helps you get to next Thursday with less pain.
I'm in love with Osama's Aunt Sally
gstormcrow

Postby Raphael » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:03 pm

gstormcrow wrote:Sorry to hear about your tooth, Raphael. I've had an absessed tooth before so I can relate to how painful it can be.

I just wanted to pass along some hopefully helpful info about another painkiller for your tooth pain.

Not sure if you're already aware of it but oil of clove (made from the clove plant) worked really good for me and doesn't have that bad breath side effect, fortunately quite the opposite.

To use the oil, dip the end of a q-tip in the vial of concentrate and then apply it directly to the place where the nerve is exposed. I'll warn you now that there is some initial stinging upon application due to the oil's strength but then it very effectively deadens the pain, at least it did for me. The oil is luckily not expensive and sold over the counter at your local drug store or supermarket.

I hope this info proves useful and helps you get to next Thursday with less pain.

Thank you gstormcrow- I am indeed aware of clove oil- I have made my own by putting cloves in a small jar of olive oil- it took 3 days to get the oil infused with the cloves. The shops were closed when this infection came on when shops re- opened and the ones I went to hadn't any in stock - anyway saves me money to make my own when I have oil and a jar of gorgeous smelling organic cloves in a jar. :)
I have always loved the smell of cloves and keep some in a dish to scent the room! I put some on my gums last night and it was soothing.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Cybele » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:53 am

Oh, Raphael -- I hope you're feeling better soon and am glad you're on antibiotics. Abscessed teeth are so miserable. What a nasty way to spend the holiday. (And yes, most of us are indeed grateful for modern dentistry.) I wish I could offer you a good remedy
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:10 pm

Thanks Cybele. Saw the doc yesterday and have got more antibiotics (same one) so as to last me another week. Funny but the yellow coating on the tablets tastes like vanilla! Got more painkillers as well- on both co codamol and Ibuprofen.
I'm not one for taking antibiotics unless in serious circumstances, when the body cannot fight the infection on its own. Incredible to think Penicillin was only discovered in 1928. Wouldn't John have been amazed to know that even a pet dog suffering with an infection these days has superior medical care than he and his friends did? Last year my friend's guinea pig was very ill and we took him to the PDSA vets and the care and kindness this little animal recieved was impressive- the creature had Xrays, pain killers, vitamins, antibiotics- the lot. Sadly, he didn't thrive; they didn't really know what was wrong with him and he was given euthanasia, but they tried everything to help him. All this treatment was free as well.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Return to Miscellaneous