What films have you gone to see lately?

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

What films have you gone to see lately?

Postby Raphael » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:05 pm

I saw Woman in Black and The Raven - about Edgar Alan Poe- both were excellent.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Re: What films have you gone to see lately?

Postby Cath » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:55 am

Oooh, that's interesting - both had relatively bad reviews in The Guardian, but that paper can be a bit snobby about adaptations that are too modern or "entertainment-orientated". They're not out in Germany yet (where i live), but I've managed to see Shame with Michael Fassbender which was very good. Still planning to see Polankski's Carnage at some point.

By the way, did you read the interview with John Cusack, the star of The Raven, at the weekend? He talked about reading Peter Ackroyd's biographies of Poe, London and Dickens: "I like how he isn't always a slave to historical truth – at least I hope that's the idea. It's kind of what we do as actors and film-makers, inhabit a space between. It's a psychic space, a state of spirit that is deeply part of the human condition and it's a place Poe inhabited, a mix of high literature and pure pulp ... it's rather awe-inspiring."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2012/mar/18/john-cusack-raven-poe-interview?INTCMP=SRCH

A man after my own heart :) .
"Why should we be owls, when we can be Eagles?" (Keats to Reynolds, 3 February 1818)
Cath
Calidore

Postby Saturn » Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:48 pm

Haven't been to the cinema in months, but this year I'm very excited by Ridley Scott's Prometheus, The Dark Knight Rises and, at the end of the year The Hobbit.

It's so expensive to se a film in the cinema now I only go for big event movies that justify the exorbitant cost.

And good idea for a film thread, I love films; can't think why I didn't make a thread like this before.
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Cath » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:45 am

I saw Carnage yesterday afternoon in a tiny alternative cinema on the fifth floor of a residential building and thought it was fantastic. The Austrian actor Christopher Waltz was amazing - I only found out afterwards it was him, having only heard of his name previously, and by jove, his American accent was flawless.

Now I'm half way through Pandaemonium on DVD.

Did you all watch Bright Star last night?
"Why should we be owls, when we can be Eagles?" (Keats to Reynolds, 3 February 1818)
Cath
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:23 pm

Yes I watched it but as flash player on bbc iplayer has decided not to work for Linux I had to watch it on tv in Siberia lounge with a hot water bottle!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Cath » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:23 pm

I saw Woman in Black when I was in England and I must say, I didn't find it remotely scary. I also found it difficult to "buy" the young Daniel Radcliffe as a Victorian father-of-one when he still looks and sounds very boyish.

Into the Abyss - a Werner Herzog film about the US death penalty - and Babycall - a Swedish film about the disintegration of a young mother's psyche - were both great.
Cath
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:37 am

Cath wrote:I saw Woman in Black when I was in England and I must say, I didn't find it remotely scary. I also found it difficult to "buy" the young Daniel Radcliffe as a Victorian father-of-one when he still looks and sounds very boyish. .

Not Scary . . you didn't jump in the rocking chair scene then? :o I think if you were in that house alone it might then become scary! :lol:
Yes he does look young to be a father- he is 22 but then they married younger back then.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Cath » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:39 pm

Raphael wrote: Not Scary . . you didn't jump in the rocking chair scene then?"

OK, I admit it, the rocking-chair scene was a little frightening :lol: .
Cath
Calidore

Postby Raphael » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:08 pm

Cath wrote:
Raphael wrote: Not Scary . . you didn't jump in the rocking chair scene then?"

OK, I admit it, the rocking-chair scene was a little frightening :lol: .

:lol: My Mum said she would have run a mile if she had been in that house at that point, unlike Kipps who goes to see what the noise is and finds that!

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Return to Miscellaneous