"For awhile after you quit Keats, all other poetry seems..."

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

"For awhile after you quit Keats, all other poetry seems..."

Postby Cath » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:10 pm

"Why should we be owls, when we can be Eagles?" (Keats to Reynolds, 3 February 1818)
Cath
Calidore

Re: "For awhile after you quit Keats, all other poetry seems

Postby Cybele » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:55 am

Love this, Cath! And it's so true -- once you find Mr. Keats nothing else has the same impact on you.
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Re: "For awhile after you quit Keats, all other poetry seems

Postby Ennis » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:55 pm

Fitzgerald nailed it. Once Keats gets in your blood (so to speak, and "blood": poor choice of words. . . ), it's impossible to get him out. But who woud want to, anyway? The whole Keats Syndrome is so Keastsian iitself: that whole contrast of light and dark; it's such a thrill to read him or about him, but it also hurts. Or at least it does me. Knowing one will never have the joy, the opportunity of knowing Keats in life, or any of his circle for that matter - not that I would ever (intellectually) stand any chance of fitting in. The letters, the biographies, and the film Bright Star are all we have (and of course, the poems). Maybe that's what the next life will be: fulfillment of our greatest dream(s). I just hope, as I get older, I don't develop some type of dementia that results in me forgetting anything about Keats. This is all to depressing. 'Bye.
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Return to Miscellaneous