Byron's inscripted copy of Frankenstein found and sold

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Byron's inscripted copy of Frankenstein found and sold

Postby Cath » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:34 pm

Thought to have been sold for a mere 350,000 GBP! Happily, although it was sold to a private UK collector, it will be shown in public apparently...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/booknews/9811878/Signed-copy-of-Frankenstein-found-by-chance-sells-for-over-350000.html
"Why should we be owls, when we can be Eagles?" (Keats to Reynolds, 3 February 1818)
Cath
Calidore

Re: Byron's inscripted copy of Frankenstein found and sold

Postby Raphael » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:42 pm

Glad it was found.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Postby Cybele » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:38 am

Wow. What a find! And how exciting for the finder!

And do you know what I did? I'm such a nerd that I ran my fingers over the screen as if I could touch Mary Shelley's handwriting, and touch something she had touched. (I did it without thinking. -- I did really touch her plaque in the Science Fiction Hall of Fame in Seattle.)
"The philosopher proves that the philosopher exists. The poet merely enjoys existence."
Wallace Stevens
Cybele
Calidore

Postby Cath » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:31 am

Cybele - I think that is perfectly normal behaviour :wink: . The writer becomes so much more "immediate" when we see their handwriting, particularly if it's a personal inscription.

Have you read a biography of Mary Shelley? I found it fascinating how conservative and reticient she became after Shelley's death - in fact she was almost a recluse, caring for and living for her only surviving child, Percy. Many attack her for not keeping up the radical beliefs of her husband and father William Godwin, and for somehow becoming less "original" and "experimental" in the many years she lived after Shelley died at 29... It's interesting to speculate how much of her reticience has to do with the terrible losses she experienced as her life progressed - estrangement from a once-close father, the premature death of her children, esp. the beloved Wilmouse (buried near Keats in the Protestant Cemetery in Rome!), the shock of Shelley drowning.

It was the anniversary of her death a few days ago on Feb 1. I hope to make it to St Peter Churchyard in Bournemouth one day, to see her and her mother's final resting place.
"Why should we be owls, when we can be Eagles?" (Keats to Reynolds, 3 February 1818)
Cath
Calidore

Return to Miscellaneous