Morrissey visits the grave of John Keats

Discussion of other topics not necessarily Keats or poetry-related, i.e. other authors, literature, film, music, the arts etc.

Moderators: Saturn, Malia

Morrissey visits the grave of John Keats

Postby Cath » Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:42 am

Last edited by Cath on Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Why should we be owls, when we can be Eagles?" (Keats to Reynolds, 3 February 1818)
Cath
Calidore

Re: Morrissey visits the grave of John Keats

Postby Saturn » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:18 pm

Eugh Morrissey, a hideous flowery-shirted poser and miserable git, leaning on the grave of a genius!
"Oh what a misery it is to have an intellect in splints".
Saturn
Forum Administrator

Postby Cath » Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:57 pm

I hope I'm not being picky, but I think it's a little disrepectful he has his foot on the grave & is "embracing" it...
"Why should we be owls, when we can be Eagles?" (Keats to Reynolds, 3 February 1818)
Cath
Calidore

Postby Ennis » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:48 pm

Cath wrote:I hope I'm not being picky, but I think it's a little disrepectful he has his foot on the grave & is "embracing" it...

The foot thing - yeah, but I don't think "embracing" it is disgraceful (although it looks more as if he's just leaning against it). I'm not ashamed to admit when I was there, I embraced and kissed it, and I, obviously, didn't feel as though I was being disrespectful. As a matter of fact, I felt the opposite. It did embarrass my brother, I think. At least we were the only ones there at the moment (as my brother would express in relief - I would have done it, unashamedly so, if the entire population of Rome was in attendance.), but it was only about 30 minutes before the 4 o'clock closing.
"But if you will fully love me, though there may be some fire, 'twill not be more than we can bear when moistened and bedewed with Pleasures." JK to FB 08.07.1819
Ennis
Calidore

Postby BrokenLyre » Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:30 am

I love reading your last post Ennis - I envy your opportunity to see Keats' grave site. Loved the way your shared that with us!

"I would have done it, unashamedly so, if the entire population of Rome was in attendance" - awesome!!

Like Jane Campion, she did the same.
"Come... dry your eyes, for you are life, rarer than a quark and unpredictable beyond the dreams of Heisenberg; the clay in which the forces that shape all things leave their fingerprints most clearly. Dry your eyes... and let's go home."
BrokenLyre
Endymion

Postby Raphael » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:15 am

Saturn wrote:Eugh Morrissey, a hideous flowery-shirted poser and miserable git, leaning on the grave of a genius!

Pity my mother who had to listen to my brother Phil's Morrissey LPS in the 1980s. She found them dirge like. I also have to confess I used to listen to him as well as I was bit of a lefty back then- we have both moved on, glad to say.
John....you did not live to see-
who we are because of what you left,
what it is we are in what we make of you.

Peter Sanson, 1995.
Raphael
Milton

Return to Miscellaneous